The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tibetans' suicidal protest > Comments

Tibetans' suicidal protest : Comments

By Gabriel Lafitte, published 19/3/2008

In Tibet there is a grim obsessiveness to China's refusal to learn anything from the past.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Sydney APEC? What did President. Hu learn from the Australian public during his visit to APEC. Can we imagine what had happened if our public were not allowed to use non-violent public action to show their moral distaste to the issues that were flushed, aired, questioned through the streets and media.

Can we not see how the role of Kevin Rudd and others (regardless of our views of Howard) helped keep this event even, peaceful at the same time as critical, for all the right reasons.

Can we see how much as a nation we began to learn, ... as a nation something important and valuable.

The central thing I see is the dangerous consequence, the outcome, when a powerful force uses BLAME and DENIAL and the oppression of the TRUTH. Balance can not ever be restored this way and if China gets away with this I do not believe NO Economic framework will help us, as a nation in the long-term future. This kind of force can also turn and manipulate us.

Capitalism is a source of immediate 'gratification' while what we see everywhere is the 'civic health bill' and the cost to maintain it 's careless dishonesty.

I believe in the original SEOUL Declaration, in " Participatory and Transparent Governance" and the need to make our capitalist resources work for everyone.

Until we understand the balance, we waste all that we gain and no celebration of the human challenge will be worth anything against ALL that remains not challenged.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:b0zLQ3H_3zgJ:unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/UN/UNPAN020790.pdf+SEOUL+DECLARATION&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=au

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu6/1/seoul.htm

Your artilce is stimulating and highly disturbing, I will think about it more and come back to it.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 11:40:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am Chinese and I now live in Australia, having moved here in mid-2007. I read Australia news and also I read Chinese newspapers On-Line. We all care of about Tibet. What happened in Tibet?

I love my country. I learned Chinese history. I know that Tibet is a province of China. I am not interesting who has political China power. I am interesting that my country is coming up and strong in the world. I am interested that my country is safe so the people can enjoy their life. I want to see my country stand up in the world.

About Tibet, I agree Tibet need keep their Culture; also, Tibet‘s people need have good life from this world. I don’t know more about Tibetan Buddhism, which is practiced differently to China, but I know Bodhisattva want help all the people, let the people all have good life. So which life is good for the Tibet’s people? Think about this?

This time Chinese government for the first time on CCTV play about Lai Sa City protests. My friends, who is live in China, tell me Lai Sa, all the city, was like fire sea. School, government buildings, shops, any where on fire. Many of Tibet’s people hung a long narrow flag outside their buildings saying – ‘I am a Tibet person, don’t destroy my shop.’

So I am thinking this; why the people do this? If you want talk to the Chinese government, you can use other way. Aggression is a most stupid way. We all know any government must hold the most power in their country. They have strong army, they don't want lose any place from their country’s map. They must do something. This is rule. We can’t change.

I hate have a war; the people all need have a safe life. Bodhisattva tells us love all the people and help all the people. I wish Tibet people been safe and happiness.

Zhou Xiaosui
Posted by DialecticBlue, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 2:00:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If there is one central issue, it is that Tibet is on the road from India into China; or on the road from China into India.
For more than a century these two giants have had birth rates higher than death rates.
What might have been of no concern prior to that is now a major issue: A billion people either side of Tibet,continuing to expand in both. Tensions from population stress upon society and consequent deterioration of environments build up on both sides of the mountains. Increasing numbers combined with burgeoning aspirations are the fuel of powder kegs straddling the boundaries.
China quite reasonably expects to have the whip-hand as to who controls that road to the mountain passes, and I salute the second poster wsriting from an informed Chinese perspective.
Posted by colinsett, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 3:05:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
find the headwaters of the yangtze, and yellow river on a map. china will turn loose of this natural asset sometime after hell freezes over.

so, yes, it's suicidal to protest violently. not very bright either.

before the han invasion, tibet was not a nice place. it was a slave society, with all the usual cruelty that ensues. it might, on balance, be a better place now. if young ethnic tibetans don't like to see han in tibet, that is understandable, but there are some tibetans in high office, some are being given a modern education, it could be worse.

tibetans might be treated really badly, like aborigines here, for instance.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 3:30:04 PM
Yes I salute Zhou Xiaosui and Colinsett.

On Demos comment I add that the History of Invasion in Vietnam might shed light here.

After 1000 invasions through history and not including the one we became part of, the Indigenous Vietnamese people (also 80% Buddhist) were increasingly pushed down further and further into (former) Saigon, which is now Ho Chi Minh City. The sharing, friendly, cultures we know today as the Cambodian peoples, in turn were pushed further downward until there was no room for them either in this part of Vietnam. These people too were forced to flee and then merge into the regions of Cambodia and Laos, as we now know it, and this is why those cultures struggle, as they are closely coping with all that is mixed.

This is exhausting for a peoples, all this oppression and cultural based conflict. It is unsustainable when you think of that struggle and the many, many, many inter-generations killed... even before the US war beset the latest dynamic trend.

If you were bullied by an overpowering culture you have three choices.

1) You try to live with it in Peace.

2) You try to join it, as life is too difficult if you don't and given you can hardly achieve a thing to change anything from the outside.

3) You flee your land cultural network, family and village.

3a) If you don't you are risking death and there is no future for a family or community in such uncertainty.

Either way the domination, heavy-handed force is directed at you, and it wins every time. MONO-STATE of affairs.

It must be terribly difficult given the reality of the Chinese power base for the Tibetan intellectuals and all those young who just want to give their parents hope, by trying to get ahead.

I wish China would look after its own people. Let the rest GO... consolidate to become both a moral and scientific leader in harmony which could be a more skilful kind of success.

http://www.miacat.com/

Posted by miacat, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 6:11:46 PM
DIALECTIC BLUE!

You are quite wrong... 'China' was a province of TIBET!

The Tibetan Empire extended at one stage from Bhutan in the south to Mongolia in the north.. that makes China owned by TIBET!

So.. in any case.. do you wonder now why the English and Emericans treated the Chinese so badly with the Opium and various wars to open China up ? Don't ever EVER speak about "poor chinese victims of western imperialism" because the Chinese are just as imperialistic and JUST as racist toward others.

Ethnic chinese in Tibet are given preference for land and contracts, and all the usual rubbish that tyrants serve up for themselves.

THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT and all of its people who sympathetically support its tryannical and despotic and ugly cruel vile forced low wages, forced this forced that, and the theft of Australian and US jobs by forcibly keeping wages low, and mistreating workers.. by clearing people who are 'inconveniently' located where some arrogant power and money hungry well connected PIG who wants to extend his personal empire.. .. will one day again be 'victims' of their own pride and arrogance.

What do you mean YOUR country? (China)? you live in Australia now..and you better start changing your attitude that now AUSTRALIA is 'your' country, or.. we might begin to suspect that you are a fifth columnist for Ethnic Chinese Imperialism and expansion.

If you live here and don't regard this as 'your country' (and adopt its culture and values...then.. LEAVE.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 6:31:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy