The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > To save the world we may have to waste it > Comments

To save the world we may have to waste it : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 15/2/2008

When declining fossil fuels threaten economic growth we'll see all talk of reducing carbon emissions thrown out the window.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Instead of backing off as we approach the cliff we are speeding up. The evidence for a looming coal shortage is the fivefold increase in prices ex Newcastle 2002-2008. When China asks for more coal to maintain its industrial output I strongly suspect our Queensland hailing, Mandarin speaking PM will oblige. Despite being elected on a promise to reduce emissions I doubt that the new government will do anything to increase domestic electricity prices. The bright side is that some claim that an early coal peak will limit global warming to 2C barring runaway feedback effects. However just what the next generation will use for electricity is not clear. We are condemning little kids now in kindergarten to an uncertain future.

If indeed the problem is even solvable some minor pain now means less pain in the future. By 'pain' I mean carbon caps, green energy targets and resource rationing. Do it for the future if not for ourselves.
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 15 February 2008 9:42:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Would be a very amusing article if it wasn't so true...

Sadly people only respond to issues which unfold in real time and regretful hindsight will always be more popular than courageous foresight.
Posted by Proust, Friday, 15 February 2008 9:53:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having just spend a depressing hour browsing the food to fuel question, noting that grain futures have risen all months up to three years out, that Canada will increase it's domestic grain consumption next year by 7% from converting wheat to ethanol, that the grain ethanol plant on our Darling downs will be operational later this year, your article brought a smile to my face. Thank you.

Seriously, it is time for someone with more knowledge than I to present an article specifically on the merits or otherwise of converting grain to ethanol. It is rapidly developing into the biggest story of our time.

To bring this back on topic, I think it is the prime example of the greedy, unthinking behavior of humans which I presume you are alluding to. With the continuing mandating/subsidizing of grain to fuel in the face of starvation, civil unrest, environmental degradation, it is our governments being greedy and unthinking on our behalf.
Posted by Goeff, Friday, 15 February 2008 10:01:30 AM
This guy must be a gas to live with....Michael Lardelli don't worry be happy.
Posted by alzo, Friday, 15 February 2008 11:11:41 AM
Presumably this article is intended as a joke - I certainly hope so, as it containes every single one of the ludicrous false assumptions and idiotic conclusions associated with the more extreme elements in the peak oil movement.

It is views like these that prevent the peak oil problem from being taken as seriously as it should. If the article is a joke, Michael, it is in poor taste.
Posted by NorthWestShelf, Friday, 15 February 2008 11:21:34 AM
What a waste of blog space. The only thing he got right was that he, not us, was stark raving bonkers.
Posted by Perseus, Friday, 15 February 2008 11:48:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy