The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The true story of the education revolution > Comments

The true story of the education revolution : Comments

By Mercurius Goldstein, published 11/2/2008

We should all hope that Australia does not, in a revolutionary frenzy, abandon the public system of education that has served it so well.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The author seems to be moving inter-state.
Posted by HRS, Monday, 11 February 2008 9:25:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lingo is more than just Lingo when it comes to understanding the role it plays in everyday life. Never would I agree to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I use maths when I take a photo, or animate a film. I use math when I cook the pudding and math when I calulate my options in other activities even though sometimes it may not seem so.

If I were a fishing person I would do math and have lingo that is different to a horse person who works campdraft or on the trots, perhaps.

What is education if it can not handle a discussion inclusively rather than the idea that all this is about one thing or nothing. This would be hopeless.

I think I see education through people working everyday. The point is it good or bad education?

This is what social Peer to Peer and Mentorship, Community, Family, School, Governments, Local Governments, Work activities and Life-style activities is about all ought to be about. Something cohesive and inclusive or inter-relates.

Do we care?

I was bold over as I listened to a program on "Global finance: big,
bloated and dangerous?", by Dr Paul Woolley on ABC last week. I also understood all that Lord Robert May said in his "Relations on a finite planet" talk.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bigideas/default.htm

Many brains are better than one I say but it might take some discretion for all sides.

Free thinking and learning is only half the undertaking.... me thinks.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Monday, 11 February 2008 10:17:20 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good luck Mercurius in the land of the Free. Hope you keep posting your insights. I think we may have come to a bit of a watershed on education in Australia with Rudd. Many supporters of public education are waiting for a sign of committment from the new government especially on funding of the growing private sector. We all hope Rudd was mainly trying not to frighten the sheep when he said that Labour would support the SES funding model to 2012. Jane Caro indentifies the lowly position Rudd has placed education in the topic list for his Future talkfest in Canberra in April as a possible indicator of lack of committment- we can only hope that this changes. Any way good luck.
Posted by pdev, Monday, 11 February 2008 1:18:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree we need a renaissance rather than a revolution.
Introduction of Philosophy for Children to all public school six year olds and all classes of older children and continuing the strand throughout their education would, over time, lift the performance of all public school students and give them a more satisfactory life as adults.
Why are people scared to have clear thinking citizens?
Introduction of P4C will improve academic performance and substantially reduce the incidence of bullying and other inconsiderate behaviour. P4C requires about one hour a week during which time the students learn by participation. They participate in discussions of topical ethical and societal questions of their own choosing. In Kirkaldy, Scotland 30 minutes were taken from a language lesson and 30 minutes from personal development. Can anyone argue that language ability won’t improve and personal development be significant if a young child learns to reason and present arguments in a group discussion? With clearer thinking senior students and older adults we should reduce both drug problems and criminal behaviour, surely worthwhile long term benefits.
Buranda State School, Queensland has had substantial success by introducing just such a programme as has Clackmannan Shire in Scotland. The method is also being introduced in Nottingham Shire in the UK and in New Zealand. Why not in every state in Australia? Are our education systems controlled by ideologues or control freaks or ‘fraidy-cats?
Posted by Foyle, Monday, 11 February 2008 2:58:42 PM
I don't know where Mercurious Goldtsein has been for the last twenty years but the good public education system has been destroyed over that period - in NSW at least. The final remnants of what was the envy of teh world in the 50s to 80s is being swept away as Iemma has announced that school principals will have the say in who is employed as teachers. This instead of a system which ensured that the Education Dept sent teachers to schools - which provide uniform education for children in Vaucluse and Menindee, in Bellevue Hill and Dunedoo
Posted by Plaza-Toro, Monday, 11 February 2008 3:06:17 PM
He's picked the hype word 'revolution'. Rudd and Gilly are about as revolutionary as a dish mop.

Not sure whether the author just dismissed a kid's right to spell and write in a formal way or whether he's taking a long term view - say from San Francisco. Excellent news on his FIRST CLASS Honours. Bloody marvellous.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 11 February 2008 3:57:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy