The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racism makes monkey of 'gentleman's game' > Comments

Racism makes monkey of 'gentleman's game' : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 11/1/2008

Cricket worship: over the past week or so, Aussies have learned an important lesson in Indian religion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Your notion that cricket is an all-consuming issue in India, or a religion in India, is outmoded and a tad colonial in thinking.
An Indian writer in a New York magazine last week outlined the poor reportage of modern India by writers in the west.
He pointed out that one of several cliches is that Indian is overwhelmingly besotted by cricket. He pointed out that many stadiums are now almost empty for domestic games.
Yesterday the Indian media news outlet Exchange4Media pointed out that TV ratings for the test in India have been well down, but may now ramp up in the wake of the controversy.
The Perth game will probably have better ratings because of this and because of the time factor: most Indians haven't bothered slavishly sitting up all night to watch cricket. They seem to be preferring sleep.
Both reports I emntioned can ba eccesed via my site, www.watchingthemedia.com.
Peter Olszewski MediaBlab
Posted by piotr, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:18:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your notion that cricket is an all-consuming issue in India, or a religion in India, is outmoded and a tad colonial in thinking.
An Indian writer in a New York magazine last week outlined the poor reportage of modern India by writers in the west.
He pointed out that one of several cliches is that Indian is overwhelmingly besotted by cricket. He pointed out that many stadiums are now almost empty for domestic games.
Yesterday the Indian media news outlet Exchange4Media pointed out that TV ratings for the test in India have been well down, but may now ramp up in the wake of the controversy.
The Perth game will probably have better ratings because of this and because of the time factor: most Indians haven't bothered slavishly sitting up all night to watch cricket. They seem to be preferring sleep.
Both reports I mentioned can be accessed via my site, www.watchingthemedia.com.
Peter Olszewski MediaBlab
Posted by piotr, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:19:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A good and amusing article. The only thing Irfun overlooks is that the 'racism' occurred between between two dark skinned people.

For once, we whiteys didn't get the blame. The offended reaction of one high poobah of Indian cricket to the very idea that an Indian could be guilty of 'racism' was quite funny.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 11 January 2008 9:27:13 AM
I don't see this as a racism issue. Yes, the comment was rude and offensive, but given the variety of people that have been taunted for looking like a primate, I don't think it has much to do with race.

I have been disappointed with the attitude of the Australian team. They appear obsessed with winning at all costs and achieving some sort of glorious set of winning statistics. I think if they want to go down in history as a truly memorable team, they need to focus less on winning and more on sportsmanship. That are in a position where they can do such and still manage an significant number of victories. I think a single sportsmanly win is much grander than a collection of victories won at the cost of the games image.
Posted by Desipis, Friday, 11 January 2008 11:58:25 AM
Far be it from me to doubt your word piotr, but you made such a fascinating claim - that India isn't really that mad on cricket - I thought I'd follow up on the articles.

The only one of the two that I could find was that of Exchange4Media, which did indeed attribute the low ratings on the first two to the time difference. No mention of a general downturn or lack of interest though.

But I couldn't find the one from New York, however many combinations I used in their search field - could you perhaps supply the URL?

It did lead me to this blog entry though, which I found interesting.

http://www.orble.com/in-india-cricket-rules/2/

>>Your notion that cricket is an all-consuming issue in India, or a religion in India, is outmoded and a tad colonial in thinking.<<

At least we know that Irfan isn't entirely alone in his outmoded and colomial view.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 11 January 2008 12:24:48 PM
Since this issue popped up I've been somewhat bemused at the hypocritical preciousness of Australian claims of racism at the insults levelled at Andrew Symonds. It only seems like yesterday that we were the world masters at what is euphemistically called "sledging", particularly when we were regularly being flogged by the West Indies.

Besides which, I've heard numerous references to George W. Bush as a "smirking chimp". Are they racist too?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 11 January 2008 12:43:13 PM
Bloody 'Racism'. The catchword of our time. How about we revert to pre racism and simply go back to "Good Manners" where courtesy and respect were paramount. Don't remember Bradman ever being accused of 'racism'.
Anyway everyone knows that only white people are racists.
Posted by mickijo, Friday, 11 January 2008 2:02:46 PM
If the hopelessly flawed evolution theory was true then Symonds really has not got a lot to complain about! When are the media going to stand up to this PC rubbish. If you can't take being called a monkey then you should not be playing with the big boys. Yes Ponting is arrogant as was Imran Khan, Ian Botham, Tony Greig, Steve Waugh and many other cricketers. Cricket has rarely been a gentleman's game even in Bradman's era.
Posted by runner, Friday, 11 January 2008 3:35:12 PM
Another pointless point of view! Its all about reving, in the name of the game its self. Sorry! Cricket is a gentleman's game. Wake up! Its mind v mind. We taunt each others minds, and in the sports world, its the norm.
Posted by evolution, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:00:27 PM
Cricket does consume most of India.Just today I was talking to a friend who had just returned from there and he was searching for a maple leaf to disguise his idenity for fear of his well being.

Indians need to take a cold shower and break from the psychological shackles of their past British Colonialism,then they will find less reasons to feel inferior.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 11 January 2008 10:41:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ATTN PERICLES
From Exchange4media:
Another factor which seems to be going in ESPN-STAR Sports’ favour is the timing of the next Test match. The Perth Test match will begin from 8 am IST, and is expected to bring in a lot more viewers unlike the previous two matches, which, according to media planners, registered low viewership.

From MediaBlab

WESTERN MEDIA KEEPS GETTING INDIAN COVERAGE WRONG SAYS NEW REPUBLIC ARTICLE
New York-based freelancer Samanth Subramanian hits out at cliche’d media reporting about India and asks “Isn't there anyone who can write about India with some complexity?” in an article entitled ‘The Land of a Thousand Newspaper Articles’ in The New Republic.
...He even takes cricket coverage to task criticising the Times of India for producing an “atrocious piece” on cricket, and points out that cricket-crazy India is also a cliché, with domestic games now often played in stadiums so empty “that the sound of bat on ball echoes loudly from the stands.”
Subramanian considers that most newspapers have not been able to meet the challenges of reporting in India.
Posted by piotr, Saturday, 12 January 2008 2:20:28 PM
Great piece once again Irfan, I was reading the post's and wondering when something would crawl from under a rock. Them we had White Warlock, put his 1 cent's worth. As a Anglo male I'll say this to Mr Warlock Irfan is in his country, he is in my country, and we like you to get out, or grown up. And thanks Runner for your comment, every time you open your mouth you reaffirm your stupidity.
Posted by Kenny, Sunday, 13 January 2008 11:20:05 AM
Kenny,

I don't want ANYONE living in this liberal democracy or any other liberal democracy who is a racist, a trouble maker, and most of all, a selfish, isolated, ethnocentric freak. This is what Irfan is.

I'm sure you would want to deal with the KKK if they suddenly started popping up everywhere, yes, but, just the white racist groups. The coloured racist groups are not really racist to your type, are they? Animals can't be evil when they kill, can they?

I am angry at anyone who doesn't see ALL of mankind as equals, which means being truly fair and having true empathy for other peoples. My position is a true cosmopolitan where ALL are equal individuals, not clusters of big herds, where each group is "guilted" into being a certain style of human. This is racist.

It has been my experience, as is evidenced by our massive migration programs and multicutlaral policies,that those cultures that come from the North-West European region are closer to this ideal than other cultures.

I make no apology for this, and if you do, you apologize for Nazis. Worse than that, though, because you don't see them as Nazis it means that you think of them as animals, as animals cannot be evil or responsible for the harm they cause in any way, can they?

Try being an individual Kenny and you just might break through all that "Orwellian" brainwashing you got from your herd.
Posted by White Warlock, Sunday, 13 January 2008 11:47:25 AM
White Warlock,don't be so angry.It is too late .We are witnessing the end of the European culture.It happened to the Egyptians,Romans,Greeks and now us.China and India will now be the new world powers by the fact of their sheer numbers.India will win all arguments in cricket by virtue of their power.With over pop and Globalisation,the world will become a nastier place and pampered Europeans will be even less inclined to breed.Enjoy the moment.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 13 January 2008 4:04:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay

You seem to think the economic rise of China and India are going to occur without cost.

Both countries are now net importers of food. Guess why? That's right their industrialisation is destroying their productive agricultural land. No not by taking it over but because of the endemic polution and increasing lack of water.

Yep the west has been through this and has or is introducing controls on emmissions and attempting to decrease the reliance on oil.

Neither China nor India are doing that. In fact India has just produced a motor vehicle for it's masses that has no polution controls and which will increase demand for oil. And neither China nor India will be immune from peak oil.

Sorry to disappoint but while those countries might not be bought to task for their abuses of human rights and racism simply economic factors will return them to their previous poverty. The brief hiatus of their adoption of some westernisms has come far to late to see any long term benefit to their peoples ... or their world domination.

Arjay ... take your own advice.
Posted by keith, Sunday, 13 January 2008 5:10:54 PM
Keith,when push comes to shove,China and India will not be told what to do or be contained.As you have said,there is a new instablity brewing due to fuel/food shortages.Neither of these countries will adhere to pollution controls in their quest for power.China has lots of low grade coal and a 30yr access to our abundant gas reserves.If both of these countries has an abundance of cheap labor,then they can afford the cost of energy.

If parity pricing of energy continues with no other cheap alternatives available,then living standards for ordinary
folk must fall.With the influence of multi-nationals there will be a greater disparity between the rich and poor,particularly with totalitarian regimes like China,Islam and Russia.
The good times are over,since cheap energy underpins the affluence of all people on this planet.Did someone mention contraception in poor countries?Now that is not politically correct,is it?
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 13 January 2008 7:16:57 PM
The only wrong doing in the Melbourne test was by Harbajan. He is, additionally, a coward for not beng racist towards the 10 fully white Australians, as opposed to the approximately 75% white Australian.

The white race may(may not?) be superior to others, but Harbajan and the crowd in India that taunt Symonds are COWARDS.

Umpires that are dumb should be sacked.

Ponting is a bit smart but a great captain and batsman.
Posted by savoir68, Sunday, 13 January 2008 9:17:36 PM
Bradman didn't like blacks and so many of our 'sporting stars' have illustrated how inept they are on issues of race.

In the post Olympic of 2000 it was sickening to hear white Australian's go on and on about Cathy Freeman - as though their sudden pride for a black women vindicated them and proved their non- racist ideals were rock solid. What hypocrites!

Symonds was used by Ponting in his whatever it takes approach to winning.

And anyway, I think cricket should be banned, its boring and its time we admited that this game was invented for blokes who could not play contact sports. And Golf was invented for those who could not play cricket.
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 14 January 2008 8:46:39 AM
Good on ya Ranier :) I see you double dosed on 'bitter' pills this morning old son.

Has anyone seen the comedy skit by Dave Chapelle? hilarious.. he joined a white power group and always turned up to meetings in his 'clan' gear.. his character was blind..and due to his outspoken manner they promoted him... then one day he had to take off his hood..and they saw he was black :)

I might try one like that myself wunna these days.

For the most refined racism around.. look at many non white mobs...particularly Hindu/Muslim interaction.... amazing stuff.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 14 January 2008 12:34:47 PM
The Indian captain said the Australians can expect a fairly vigorous reception when they play on the sub-continent later in the year .Sounds like more of the same to me .

The fanatical Indian supporters demand their team wins -it doesn't -they are unhappy .

Ricky Ponting demands and gets the extra effort from his team.I say good on you Ricky.

Creative sledging should not include racist or religious comments that tend to detract from the enjoyment of the game.
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 14 January 2008 1:08:32 PM
Arjay

When push comes to shove I'd back men and women who are prepared to lay down their lives for the freedoms they want to retain. History is full of examples of that lesson. Totalitarian regimes don't survive nor overcome other nations whose people love freedom.

When Push comes to shove free nations openly debate and tend to accept change that will ensure their survival and affluence. As you say the only way China and India are likely to accept change is when it is forced upon them... not militarily but when they cannot feed nor supply clean water to their populations, farms and industries. Their own people will revolt. There won't be any of your dreamed of expansionism.

Keith
Posted by keith, Monday, 14 January 2008 6:37:05 PM
On the issue of whether Indians like cricket, I once met a young Indian man while travelling overseas and asked him if he liked cricket. He replied, “No.” I questioned him further and found out that he once spent a lot of money for a reserve seat to see a Test match in England, and gave me a full description of the day’s events.

This said to me that when Indians say they don’t like cricket, they are probably only comparing themselves to their fanatical compatriots back home.

Irfan says that it was Aussie creationists who were most offended by Harbajan Singh’s monkey jibe. (Doesn’t New Zealand have any creationists, Irf?)

Irfan is pointing out that insulting a person of colour by calling them a monkey only carries any sting when our common descent from African apes is assumed as some kind of objective reality. It was Darwin, or more so his popularises, who encouraged the idea that darker skinned people were more closely related to the apes.

Ex Australian cricket captain, Bob Simpson, was always known affectionately as “Chimp”. But it seems the monkey jibe is only racist when pertaining to ‘darker’ people.

If we are going to combat racism, it would help if we let go of some of these outdated 19th Century myths that have attached themselves to science and acknowledge our common humanity.

‘All over the world and the stranger the place
The heart is the same; it’s just a different face.’

‘Red and yellow, black and white
All are precious in his sight.’

Here’s what Aussie creationists said about the whole affair,
http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/5564/
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 7:27:56 AM
From Dan's Creationist link:

"the only effective solution to ending racism in cricket, and elsewhere in society, is to return to a biblical worldview"

This is supposed to be a joke, isn't it?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 7:47:04 AM
Thank you for posting the link to creationontheweb.com, Dan, that was a real chuckle. An earnest and self-important analysis of "why is 'monkey' a racist taunt?" that ends with the immortal phrase "the only effective solution to ending racism in cricket, and elsewhere in society, is to return to a biblical worldview..."

Yeah, right! I can see that working.

Except that... just possibly, the taunt is all about imagery. You know, the monkey swinging in the trees going "Oo Oo Oo” and scratching its armpit? Demonstrates human characteristics, but can't hold his own in a debate on Kierkegaard? Tends to be less concerned with personal hygiene than humans – except perhaps that 60s throwback in the Leura coffee shop?

Or is that a little too simple?

The fact that it works better with black people than white – and hence becomes a racist taunt – is to do with the natural colouring of the monkey, which is in general darker than the skin of the average white person. Sod all, I would suggest, with the theory of evolution.

But thanks for the laugh. And the confirmation that Creationists have been reduced to clutching at straws to support their tired and confused argument.

Personally, I cannot accept that the Indian crowd calling Symonds "monkey" is any more racist than the traditional "Hadlee is a [profanity removed to save OLO's blushes]". It is what passes for affectionate banter in Test cricket, from the crowd and from the players. I don't think that it in any way enhances the game, but that seems to be the way the crowds and players like it.

Forget Creationism, as far as this incident is concerned, it was simply a highly hypocritical act by Ponting, deploying the race card to divert attention from the fact that he is a first-class cheat.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 16 January 2008 8:21:28 AM
Pericles,

You say the creationist argument is tired and confused. I’ll take that as progress. In the past, creationist detractors refused to admit that they had an argument.

Monkey fur comes in a variety of colours. If you think that saying monkey fur is mostly dark gets you around the problem, then perhaps you owe yourself a trip to the zoo to have a look at their real colours.

CJ, “This is supposed to be a joke, isn’t it?”

No, CJ, it’s not meant to be, but thanks for reading the article.

The website article doesn’t elaborate much on what a ‘Biblical worldview’ entails, but I can mention how from page 1 it speaks of how humans were created in the image of God. After that, it clarifies that all humans are descended from the original created couple and not in any way from ape-like creatures in the distant past of prehistoric Africa.

An antidote to racism would be to acknowledge our common humanity and that we are all in fact fairly closely related in time and lineage (me to you and you to me, surprisingly). Being made in the image of the creator of the universe is also a big plus for anyone’s self esteem (compared to being made in the image of something fur covered and knuckle dragging), and a greater self image would generally lead to a reduction in people needing to trade in insults.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Thursday, 17 January 2008 7:22:28 PM
Dan: "An antidote to racism would be to acknowledge our common humanity and that we are all in fact fairly closely related..."

While I agree with this bit, Dan's mythological rationale for the fact that all humans are descended from common ancestors is reminiscent of Kipling's "Just So" stories that I read as a child.

Amusing - yes. True - no.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 18 January 2008 7:48:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy