The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's just not cricket > Comments

It's just not cricket : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 27/12/2007

Media coverage of the Australian cricket tour of India focused on the racial vilification of Australian cricketer, Andrew Symonds.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Whilst not condoning the racist sledging that emanates from all supporters - Australians included - irrespective of their colour or creed, Andrew Symonds does himself no favours with his appalling parody of a Jolson-era golliwog in the application of his zinc cream.

The rest of the world doesn't apply it this way, so what makes Andrew so special?

Or is it, as I suspect, a deliberate attempt to draw attention to himself and to taunt the crowd?

Why not finish with a rendition of 'Mammy' while you're at it?
Posted by Ray Luca, Thursday, 27 December 2007 10:09:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Though I do not condone discrimination on or off the field I do resent the fact that a few young people who like to enjoy themselves by way of dressing as Aussie and carrying Aussi paraphenalia.
However if the ACB wish to carry on loke the idiots of the 1930 and 40's, being MCC england then I suggest that they don a crown such as that worn like the monarch and get out of the game the players enjoy the atmosphere as I did when I played. All was enjoyed without going over the top and if we have an over zealous Police Service then thay should be out chasing crooks, thieves and serving summonses instead of spoiling all and sundries whilst at which I consider to be one of our National games
Regards and all the very best for 2008.
Chris McManis
Posted by cmac, Thursday, 27 December 2007 7:30:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ray, Andrew Symonds wears the zinc cream for all (day and night) games, because he is sponsored by a certain zinc cream company. That's the only reason he wears it. Taunt the crowd with sun protection cream - that's hilarious.
Posted by Foob, Friday, 28 December 2007 8:15:51 AM
Stephen, it's no use your hanging onto the coattails of the black africans and their worldwide descendants - mostly they don't like you! I well remember walking up Smith Street in Darwin with a Zambian friend some years ago. He was black! Blacker than anyone else in Smith Street, who merely looked dark brown by comparison. The local dark browns all chose to speak to him, thinking they had found a kindred spirit. After receiving "G'day brudder" from various down-and-out looking characters my friend turned to me and said - in his very best Eton accent - "John, who ARE these people?"

I regret to say that my very good Zambian friend was an even greater racist than I when it came to disreputable characters accosting him!

God, I laughed!
Posted by Reynard, Friday, 28 December 2007 5:51:30 PM
Stephan ,
Our local Victorian Country league Competition Seniors Competition has 8 Rules that appear each week in our programme .

No 1 tells us to"abide by the Rules" etc.

No2 DON'T assault anyone etc.

NO3 Good Sportsmanship - Swearing NOT acceptable etc.

N0 4 DON'T abuse an umpire etc.

No's 5,6,7,To conduct yourself properly and deveop a respect for your Club and opposition etc.

N0 8 Rule however fails the game and the players by in a rather weak kneed way saying they should only.... "AVOID use of derogatory language based on gender and race ".

I don't think this is near strong enough wording .

It would appear the League is only half hearted in promoting it's views on sledging .
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 31 December 2007 12:50:51 PM
That's the VCFL, ie Aussi Rules Football Country Competition .
Posted by kartiya jim, Monday, 31 December 2007 12:53:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy