The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cultural diversity - our social challenge > Comments

Cultural diversity - our social challenge : Comments

By Andrew Jakubowicz, published 21/11/2007

My hope is that Australia's next government will see cultural diversity as the central social question for the future.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
This is what you get with too much immigration; especially non-Anglo immigration let loose in academia.

Multiculturalism is still the biggest threat to Australia – increasingly so. The very purpose of multiculturalism is to encourage diversity, to encourage the expression of differences. Multiculturalism is anathema to “social cohesion”. The “Melbourne’s Greeks” this foreign-sounding author refers to are a case in point. Among the oldest immigrants to Australia, Greeks are separatists. Several generations down the track, people who have never seen Greece, call themselves ‘Greek’. A Greek has no more in common with the host Anglo culture than an Arab does. The same can be said for most immigrants to Australia now.

The implication that the Immigration Minister’s actions against the terror suspect, Haneef, were somehow connected to Haneef’s being a “dusky foreigner” clearly shows what a nasty trouble-maker this foreign-sounding (his choice of words) multiculturalist is. We have Anglos kicked out the country all the time, but there is never a word about them or the colour of their skin!

Even Tampa gets a mention. Again! The multiculturalists are running out of material. They are easily beaten, if only we have the will before it is too late.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 10:50:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Leigh.

I am one of those anti Australians you are talking about. Yes, I am GREEK!

But guess what, some of my best friends are Aussies. And some of the most despicable characters I have ever come across are Greek Australian.

The point is, stop being so fixated on the ethnic link. You make it seem that every Greek is loyal to every member of his kin. It ain't true mate!

In what ways can we Greeks destroy the fabric of this country? I fail to see how.
Posted by Savvas Tzionis, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 11:12:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Article 6666: Cultural diversity is our social, economic and political challenge . It is the delayed and unrealised Australian challenge. A challenge now urgent for the wellbeing of futures.

I am with you Andrew Jakubowicz,, "My hope is that Australia's next government will see cultural diversity as the central social question" to be resolved.

Vaild points made for this election that ought be inclusive;

1. everyone feels that they are part of the new Australian story, and aren’t being written out because they’re 'alien';

2. the enormous potential locked up in the cultural depth and breadth of Australians is captured and released as a resource for the future; and

3. potential immigrants who can contribute to Australia, see it as a place worth committing to in the future.

If only we could put the SEOUL back into our government instead of allowing it (the Declaration) to be used to preach to everyone else. I.e., the Asian Pacific and or small island state governments.

Preaching must start at home.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 11:22:20 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Savvas,

You prove my point by calling yourself Greek. I don't cling to my 'ethnic' background. I'm Australian. Australians live in Australia. Greeks, Italians, whatever, live in Greece or Italy. I cannot understand why immigrants, but particularly their Australian-born children, living their lives in Australia, want to designate themselves as foreigners for the rest of their lives.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 11:27:09 AM
Leigh,

I am an Australian citizen. but my ethnic background is Greek. I am a conservative man. In fact, unlike Howard, I believe I have the essence of true conservatism.

As a true conservative, I will NOT throw away my identity.

Just answer me how my retention of my ethnic background impacts on Australia?

We work, we interact with our fellwo citizens, we pay our taxes. I am still at a loss to see how we are undermining this country?

In fact, if you listen to the voices of Australia's youth, and watch tv, it is not all us foreigners that are changing Australia. It is the USA. Whether that is good or bad, is not for me to say, but us 'aliens' are not doing anything to change this country to the extent that the US is.

Savvas
Posted by Savvas Tzionis, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 11:48:06 AM
"We cannot allow racist clowns..."

You mean people who say that candidates should be appointed to the head of public institutions on the basis of race? People such as you, Andrew.

If you want to find racism, look in the mirror.
Posted by grn, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 11:48:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy