The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new pink vote > Comments

The new pink vote : Comments

By Rodney Croome, published 15/11/2007

2007 will be the first federal election in which Australia's gay demographic shift will have an impact.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Redneck. As a poofter who has just spent six months in Europe, I can assure you "BUTCH Redneck!", the European poofters are still fighting for social justice for all poofters around the world.

By the way did you know that they hang teenage gays for being gay in the middle east, and the sucicide rate for teenage gays in Australia has not reduced, especially in rural Australian areas. Gays and lesbians are still being bashed and murdered around the world, as well as Australia. There again, I'm sure this is concern to you!

Just thought you would like to know, me not being a left,right or centre. Me just a poofter who accepts you for what you are!
Posted by Kipp, Sunday, 18 November 2007 6:39:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hilarious. 'Left wing poofters' indeed.

Just ask David Flint, Alan Jones, Christopher Pearson... and that's just off the top of my head.

Seriously, I think that homosexuality is probably spread across the political spectrum, as it is in society. Politically, it would only count where parties (and their local representatives) are seen to be anti-gay, rather than pro-equality.

I really don't think homosexuality is the major election issue - this time anyway - that some would like it to be.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 18 November 2007 7:12:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've been trying to work out if Leigh's post from the other day is worth responding to. Undecided so I'll go anyway, it's sunday night and why not.

"I continue to be amused by the little darlings who take pain to assure me that they are not homosexuals themselves"
- Possibly because most want you to understand that it's not just gays who care about this issue.

"they lurk until a suitable victim comes along – usually an older, conservative person they deem out of touch with today’s ‘beautiful people’, and one not young enough to know all the answers like the young and beautiful do." - about as valid as one of Leigh's beloved lefties taking their kids to the front of a protest rally and then trying to blame the cops because their kids were exposed to the turmoil at the front of the rally. Leigh playing the victim, not so convincing.

"And so you should. It will be a mere irritation to old farts like me, but it will be your nemesis." - I'm old enough and conservative enough in my personal habits that it probably won't impact on me a lot. I would like my son to grow up in a world where his choices are not determined by the superstitions of others or the petty narrowness of others who need to suppress that which is different.

In regard to the suggestions that Leigh's homophobia may be indicating some denial his part a quick scan of web based material suggested a variety of causes for homophobia (some of which are not about an attraction for gay sex). Others are homophobic because of religious convictions or personal disgust at an act that should never be their business.

For some additional reading
- http://gayequalityandthelaw.townhall.com/g/f5ac65d4-8d30-4720-b8b6-6c2014ea87c2
- http://mentalhealth.about.com/library/sci/0602/blhomo602.htm
- http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0092656606000080
- http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15327582ijpr1401_5

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 18 November 2007 8:19:46 PM
Respect for gay people requires nothing more than providing equal legal obligations and benefits to all Australians regardless of their sexuality.

Candidates for elected office can demonstrate commitment to the human rights of all citizens they represent by agreeing to vote for the repeal of all discriminatory laws identified by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission.
Posted by fair go, Monday, 19 November 2007 10:31:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh you astound me with your naivety or total ignorance
“I’ll settle for the relative harmlessness of religion any day.” you say.
Where are the gay wars around the world? Where are the great gay accumulations of wealth that churches hoard in the name of “the church” hoards that could have been distributed to the poor as a "Christian act"
To prefer religion to homosexuality because of some silly little sexual hangup is just plain silly.
Posted by thinks4self, Tuesday, 20 November 2007 11:51:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy