The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Church and management techniques > Comments

The Church and management techniques : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 5/11/2007

The liberal Protestant God has been thoroughly domesticated, and faith has been turned into therapy for the sick and inept.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Is that someone hammering a parchment on the church door?

Yeh. Some lout. No worries, he'll go away.

Amen Peter
Posted by boxgum, Monday, 5 November 2007 9:21:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As usual Sells is describing his own reductionism and confusion. The "religion" that he offers is entirely and only of the very domesticated and managed kind that he laments in this essay---no ecstasy allowed, or even hinted at.

What about Real God as Radiant Conscious Light as in:

1. http://www.dabase.org/dht7.htm

The "religion" he proposes is just another self-consoling consumer product. Or as in the case of the pentecostals etc, a version of P T Barnum's showbiz, which was based on the premise that hundreds of suckers are born every minute.

He asks us to take the Bible seriously. Which and whose version and/or translation? Even the much hyped King James version was/is a product of multiple interpretations and translations, and as such it is not at all reliable as a statement of whatever "truth" that may exist in the "gospels".

And besides which WHO wrote the gospels? None of the gospel authors actually knew "jesus" of Galilee. Nor did Paul who invented "christianISM", the religion based on a set of IDEAS ABOUT "jesus"---an ideology. It should really be called PAULISM---the "religion" based on the ideas (ideology) of Paul. Even then who was "paul"? Did such a character really exist?

Even worse it is not the liberal Christians who are a threat to the ENTIRE world. It is the "evangelicals" and their collective "end-time"
psychosis. Waiting and praying for the the "second coming" and the "rapture". Such psychotics even have an influence on USA politics as applied in Israel. For instance check out the entirely scary ALLIES FOR ARMAGEDDON by Victoria Clark on your Google.

Mind boggling collective psychosis.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 5 November 2007 10:03:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A case study:

The Uniting Church's Wesley Hospital in Brisbane trashed a rehabilitation facility serving 500 aged, frail, disabled people a week, to build 73 new private rooms overlooking the river for the rich. They told all and sundry what a hard decision it was, and misreprsented it to both the local authority and their own Synod.

Lying, bullying, and a total failure to comprehend the missio deo. Probably the worst case of ecclesiastical managerialism I've seen in 30 years.
Posted by THE DOCTOR, Monday, 5 November 2007 7:27:15 PM
Plenty to work with here... and joy of joys.. no one will accuse me of 'hijacking' the thread :)

MISSION statement.

Matthew 28:19 "Go, and make disciples of all nations"
Lukes version...chapter 24:44-49 includes:

-Thus, it is written that the Christ must suffer, die and rise....

-and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

-You.. are witnesses of these things.

THE STRATEGIC PLAN.....

"but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high".

Paul saw it like this: (1 Cor 2:2)

2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

COMMENT
The Liberals
are dying because they don't recognize that the resurrection was a literal reality. Thus, the power of the Holy Spirit is just a 'story' to them. So..their ministry will degenerate into social'do-gooding' rather than serious discipling.

The Pentecostals
are often (But all universally) more froth and bubble than faith and substance, and running more on emotion and a psychologically generated 'high' they are prone to the pressures of life and also the pleasures of this world.

I guess that leaves the Biblically Balanced group. Neither denying the supernatural/miraculous (as the liberals would) nor making it the focus of their proclamation as the Pentecostals often do, but instead.. calling men and women, as Jesus did, to sincere repentance... and deep faith, and inviting them to share in the joy of 'the presense of the future' (the Kingdom of God.. in the here and now)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 5 November 2007 7:41:10 PM
A boat that drags its anchor may well flounder upon a reef. Such is the plight of liberal theology.
Posted by Craig7, Monday, 5 November 2007 8:52:33 PM
Boaz was/is always good for a laugh---though nothing that he writes is at all funny.
He now describes himself as "balanced".
Posted by Ho Hum, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 12:24:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy