The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Human horizons in social networking > Comments

Human horizons in social networking : Comments

By Tony Henderson, published 1/11/2007

It's not only about technology: human engagement is important in online social networking.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
With all respect to my Facebook buddies, but to all those who ‘request’ to be my friend because you like My Profile I say: let’s not get carried away here. I usually don’t make friends because we share a Hotmail contact or because, spare me, you “poke” me. P - e - lease.

If you want to be my friend, come and meet me in real life. Let’s have a chat. Err, down at the local pub I mean. Yours or mine. What is so social about Facebook, or MySpace, or Bebo or Linkedin anyway? Social. Noun: a party of people assembled to promote sociability and communal activity. Adjective: 1. marked by friendly companionship with others; "a social cup of coffee";2. living together or enjoying life in communities or organized groups; "spent a relaxed social evening". (Source: www.wordreference.com/definition/social)

The good news is that there’s a counter reaction happening. In Australia for example, where a site called Getalife.com.au is connecting people to meet for a real cup of coffee. Or for a game of soccer at Centennial Park. Or a poke at mine ;-)

Simply put, Getalife.com.au offers tools for people to connect around sporting, cultural or recreational activities they themselves organise. The activity might be a one-off, like finding a couple of buddies for a kayaking trip up Brisbane River. Others get together regularly, like reading groups. If members can’t find what they’re looking for, they can create a group or activity of their own and invite others to join.

In Australia at least, it seems that Getalife has struck a chord in the hearts and minds of ordinary city slickers who are not seeking to build virtual friendships by ONLY spending time on a computer.

In the age of pokes, cyber kisses, spam and the tons of sleaze dumped on us, Getalife offers a refreshing alternative to get you personally invited by real members to real events. Not because you’re on an bulk mail list, but simply because the organiser of the event enjoys your company... in the flesh.
Posted by Jelle, Thursday, 15 November 2007 1:25:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy