The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mandate to change Canberra Press Gallery > Comments

Mandate to change Canberra Press Gallery : Comments

By Brian Arnell, published 25/10/2007

The election of a new government with a mandate for change would give the Canberra Press Gallery an unprecedented opportunity to reform itself.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Kind of true Brian and kind of not.

As a former media stalker of Gallery journos on the red carpet, I can see your argument. Some journos are simply better than others. Probably need to keep in mind that they have to file something as that's their job. So they're always on the lookout for new angles.

If it's a low tide news day they'll have a shot at the Democrats or the Greens. Such is life.

You'd probably know that there are opinion leaders in the Gallery and other reporters watch what they do. Lewis, Gratten, Oates are a few. They can be agenda setters and in fact, I have a personal theory that Howard hasn't done much wrong, it's simply a fact that the media king makers turned against him late last year.

There is a pack mentality up there which doesn't always make for good, balanced journalism - but that's part of being a journo. I'd rather have a pack of 'dogs' snapping at the heels of lying pollies, than have them fawning at their feet.

You're right that they do have a privileged place being 'in Parliament' but they can also be victims of human foibles such as group think, spin, ego stroking or simply writing for each other.
Posted by Cheryl, Thursday, 25 October 2007 9:56:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are talking about the mixture of fact and opinion which is common in political reporting. I guess it only matters because we suspect that some members of the electorate are so gullible that they don't realise that what they take as fact is actually opinion.
Two solutions exist. Firsly - beef up the relevant component in media studies courses at schools and universities so that students will be mroe sensitive to it. Given the left of centre bias of many teachers and academics, this may be a complicated matter.
Secondly - extend the labelling of political 'stories' with the word OPINION if any opinion is expressed or even hinted.
As the author knows, Canberra is a goldfish bowl. Journalists are usually expected to file a story every day. If someone picks their nose it is news. But does the rest of Australia care?
Posted by analyst, Thursday, 25 October 2007 10:35:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
what a pompous little man you are, Brian - you complain about a number of sporting analogies that political reporters around the world use! Such analogies make politics interesting and accessible for us "regular folk" not so fortunate as to have been in the gallery or Labor stooges like you
Posted by pondering, Thursday, 25 October 2007 10:41:58 AM
I must admit, as I was reading the critique, I did think "what the hell?" when he complained about the sporting analogy.

Analogies are handy. Get over it. The author may feel that there needs to be weighty consideration given to every political tidbit, but that's the kind of ivory tower crap that tends to exclude everyday folk from being involved - a point made by another poster.

There's really not much analysis here, rather than some pretty petty swipes at journalists. It really reads as being a tad juvenile.
Sure, Shanahan loves pollwatching and is a little infatuated with Howard. Then again, Phillip Adams hates Howard's guts, so it balances out in the end.

Except when Piers Akerman is involved. If you really want to critique some unbalanced work, start with that festering heap of bloated Rudd-loathing.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 25 October 2007 1:09:46 PM
The author is on the money. The press gallery, because of its proximity to those it reports on and its minute attention span, is more concerned about day-to-day tactics than the real issues.

For the vast majority of people, how Rudd or Howard fared in the daily game of political chess is irrelevant, which is why most people pay little or no attention to the gallery's scribblings.

The gallery also neglects to provide context, as the author points out in the shallow reporting of the McCelland capital punishment story. Where DO both major parties stand on capital punishment? This is what the media is for.
Posted by Mr Denmore, Thursday, 25 October 2007 2:00:41 PM
The media in this country is doing the community a great disservice. It has reported uncritically on the alternative PM. It has excused his moral lapses. It excuses his blatant errors. It hides his deceiptfulness. It is the supporter of one person for PM and it hunts as a pack.

What are they going to be like when they finally get their man across the line?

They will carry on in the same vein as they have during this election. They will report uncritically just like they do currently in the failling states. Unfortunately they will be at a loss as they won't have anyone left to blame. Oh for a year or so they will blame the former Government but that won't curry much favour with their readers and viewers as things plunge into absolute chaos as the Labor Federal Government implements and endorses policies it didn't present at the election and turns into a do nothing organisation as is the track record of all current state labor governments.

I'm going sailing to seek some tranquility and you can all suffer the looming dysfunction without me.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 25 October 2007 7:36:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy