The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Federal Election: The Great Tax Cuts Swindle > Comments

Federal Election: The Great Tax Cuts Swindle : Comments

By Ian McAuley, published 24/10/2007

The Coalition's proposed "radical" tax cuts are in reality quite modest

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The great tax cuts swindle is so aptly called. This follows on from the recent stage managed “great debate” between Labor and Liberal with a hand picked audience of hand raisers from the party faithful. No other parties or candidates were allowed to participate and above all there was to be no embarrassing questions from the audience. Behind the rhetoric each was vying over who could claim the mantle of “economic conservative” and who would be the most effective in carrying through the next round of ruthless attacks on workers and the crucial social services. Rudd failed to justify or explain why he had just matched Howard’s election promise of a massive tax cut rather than allocating billions to critically needed public services. Despite a recent poll whereby there was an overwhelming, repeat overwhelming, demand for excess tax dollars to fix up the social infrastructure - it is not going to happen. In fact, the social infrastructure is to be run down further to make it easier to privatize essential public assets. Regardless, of whether people are denied crucial health care or operations. Irrespective, of people including the young and the aged needlessly suffering or dying because of the cunningly crafted long waiting lists that produce maximum charges; desperate people will pay up big. Any money allocated for the hospitals will be a part of the private health care agenda and working to further undermine public health care. A similar process for education after the elections are over, the privatization process will be in full swing and deepened. This is a two edged sword, whereby, the tax benefits will go overwhelmingly to the rich and continue the driving down of the living standards of the immense majority into levels of poverty - so low, that most cannot imagine.
Posted by johncee1945, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 6:18:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From what I am led to believe, the revised figures are to compensate for "bracket creep" and assuming that everyone gets an increase equal to CPI.

Well in the worst case you will pay 1% less tax, but most people will benefit more.

Most labor governments have essentially increased tax after bracket creep. Rudd's tax policy will give me a fat 0% after bracket creep.

Who will I vote for now? MMM
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 6:41:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once again the FACTS are nothing like the RHETORIC. A friend of mine has been in a wheelchair from a hospital operation for over 30 years.He had sued the hospital as he had reasonable grounds that it was a stuff-up.Cost several thousands to no avail. Got on with his business and yet over 20 years ended with a $50 K loss.Wife had to go back to work despite a debilitating illness. He received no pension and has been a dependent of his wife.When he lost his incontinence allowance of $400 p.a. on turning 65, I wrote to both parties,Liberal and Labor,the reply was the same "We are looking at it." Just recently after 10 years it has been restored."Will I get the tax back I paid before the loss? he joked!" When I show her your graph I expect some response like "They can stick it!"
Posted by TINMAN, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 7:08:40 PM
Why does everyone continue to expect that their living standard has to increase continually? I am baffled. The arrival of peak oil, coupled with the need to bring in a carbon tax, means that the standard of living has to be REDUCED. Moreover, as low income workers consume far more petrol than many people in more affluent suburbs closer to good public transport, the standard of living of the lowly paid must be reduced more than that of the wealthy. These are logical outcomes of the world situation. In addition, we will most probably have our foreign debt called in over the next year or so, destroying those foolish enough to get themselves deep in debt. Is this so difficult to understand? Why do people blame the banks? Do they think they are charitable institutions? For heavens sake get real.

The reality is that we are living on a knife-edge, that the next middle east war is likely to be nuclear, and that means there will be no more oil. No-one knows when the balloon will go up, but it can't be long now.

Makes you wonder why politicians are so keen to get elected, when the world prospects are so ominous.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 8:28:53 PM
its not so much as my standard of living INCREASING, I would like my and and my husband measly income of $25tpa for him and $20000 just to keep up, though it never will. I used to have a very good income, but due to work injury, that is now blown apart. The only thing that is increasing is my mortgage rates, fuel and the cost of groceries. Sorry to the previous poster, I do use more fuel, for one reason lack of accessible reliable public transport. The bus's are unrealiable, unaccessible and way way way too expensive. So I drive, I drive frugely, but it means I can get my tasks done as needed and in the most efficient way possible.
Posted by zahira, Wednesday, 24 October 2007 11:32:02 PM
still waiting for godot, are you?

find out how democracy works, create an australian democracy, and take charge of your destiny.

or you could just continue to sit on yer bum and whinge.
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 25 October 2007 7:09:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy