The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Asserting proper values in the face of bad behaviour? Not likely! > Comments

Asserting proper values in the face of bad behaviour? Not likely! : Comments

By Alexander Deane, published 12/10/2007

A weekend on the beach. Youths behaving badly, adults in retreat and a lifeguard just doing his job ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Alexander I understand what you say, it amazes me how nobody wants to get involved in anything even if it means that they are forced to retreat and move away. It is no wonder that the world has become so violent when young people who do the wrong thing are permitted to do what they want whilst adults ignore and everybody turns a blind eye.

This state of affairs needs to change otherwise the streets are not going to be safe. Water bombs today - different bombs tomorrow.
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 12 October 2007 10:06:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Alexander: you could have done something else than trouble a volunteer lifeguard whose sole duty it is to ensure that "safe" looking swimmers are not unexpectedly dragged out in a rip and drowned - called the police. Sling-shots have been illegal weapons for decades so police can confiscate them
Posted by penny97, Friday, 12 October 2007 1:37:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fair comment, and my fault for not saying - we did ring the police.
Posted by Alexander Deane, Friday, 12 October 2007 2:36:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alexander

Perhaps I'm a little like you and prefer to dive in feet first when I see idiots interfering with our public space.

Only yesterday, I was baled up by a young lady who was accompanied by several other adults and children who were circling me outside Woolies. I felt slightly threatened.

The lady kept muttering away to me and I continued to ask: "pardon" though I had an idea what she was requesting.

Finally, through the mutterings came a clear request: "Can you give me a few dollars?"

To which I replied: "Do you receive money from Centrelink?" "Yes," said she. "So do thousands of others", I rebuked. "Not a penny more or less than you and they do not hang around supermarkets attempting to prey on weary shoppers."

Somehow my sermon amused the lady and she offered me a brilliant smile, laughing happily whilst offering an apology and several cheery farewells. "Good," I thought, "I've got the message through."

Finally, struggling with all the groceries, I made it home to discover that my two large green bags containing the week's meat and dairy supplies were no longer in my possession!

I guess he who laughs last just doesn't get it!
Posted by dickie, Friday, 12 October 2007 4:46:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an ex surfer, I can assure you that you were the victim of a territorial attack. Surfers are extremely territorial, because it is not pleasant surfing where there are too many people trying to get on one wave.

So the local yokels who are lucky enough to live near a beach resent outsiders on "their" beach. You may remember the local yokels at Bondi Beach opposing the extension of the Eastern Suburbs Railway to Bondi Beach. The last thing they want is for ANYBODY to simply jump on a train and access what the locals consider is theirs.

The reason why the life guard did not assist you was because he was a local who resented your presence just as much as the teenagers. That is why he pretended not to notice what was going on. Regardless of his duty to protect the public, he approved of their hostile behaviour.

It is doubtful if the cops would do anything either because they are locals too and that is "their" beach.
Posted by redneck, Friday, 12 October 2007 5:57:19 PM
as being a victim of the forgotten australians some of you may not know what it is ,well we were the victims of rape and abuse in the states run institutions the goverment of australia is sweeping the senate inquirie the forgotten australians ,which was dated august 2004 , and a second inquirie march 2005, is either labour or liberal going to finally admitt to the truth of what we suffered , it was those employees that worked for the australian goverment which employed these pedophiles , this was occurring in the orphanages,girls homes ,boys homes, remand centres, foster homes ,out of home care , the australian goverment on both sides are hiding and sweeping this under the carpet , lets some of you out their on this national forum start bringing it to the attention of others and push the goverments to tell the truth and to stop the cover up , as every time i go to post an article the moderator takes it of the next day ,
Posted by huffnpuff, Friday, 12 October 2007 8:47:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy