The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In search of Australian values > Comments

In search of Australian values : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 8/10/2007

Cultural integration: are we to expect refugees to not only avoid committing crimes but also to avoid becoming victims of crime?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
>Kevin Andrew's misuse of one family's tragedy is ample evidence that the only person who needs to integrate and adopt Australian values is Andrews himself.< You are quite wrong Irfan. It is the current government of Australia who need to integrate and adopt Australian values. This government has demonstrated a disgusting trait of racial prejudice equal to Pauline Hanson's. When I hear of this, and see the way they treat the Aboriginal population, amongst many of their other transgressions I am ashamed to claim Australian heritage. This is NOT what Australia is about. I have not found any evidence at all that any racial group is more or less prone to negative or criminal activity. What are we thinking in allowing such a government to lead us further into this century?
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 8 October 2007 9:56:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SHAME, SHAME, SHAME Irfan,
You are using one isolated incident to criticise the Governments integration policy. Something,I believe, you have critised others of doing when arguing against multiculturalism. I have disagreed with you on issues but I beleived your standards to be higher than this article. I'll have to reasses.

If I, or anyone, used the killing of the young Asian lad in Telopia street,I think, to call for a ban on all Lebanese or the gang rapes by the Pakistani brothers to call for a ban on all Pakistanis, you would be right to object strongly. Yet you are now doing exactly this to criticise the integration policy, even alluding to the ethnicity of those charged, who have yet to face court.

Integration assesment would have saved most of the girls from gang rapes and the matters surrounding Cronulla simply because the perpetraitors and/or their parents would have been rejected as their culrure determines that girls in western dress are whores and can be treated any which way. Not to mention their lack of respect for our laws and courts.

As for articdog's claim of racism. You wil see that some 4000 African refugees will still be allowed to enter. With the balance made up by Iraqis and Asians, how is that racist?
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 8 October 2007 11:43:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
gee, banjo. you think this is a one-off? you can't think of any other divisive nastiness which has come from andrews and the immigration department?
Posted by bushbasher, Monday, 8 October 2007 1:02:37 PM
gee, bushbusher, ever bothered to check the immigration figures? Immigration is running at its highest levels in Australia's history, with most migrants coming from non-Western countries.

Care to explain how these are the actions of a 'racist' government?
Posted by Dresdener, Monday, 8 October 2007 1:18:51 PM
Same argument has been used against every wave of migrants for the last two hundred years from, the Chinese to present day Moslems. In my memory are the Yugoslav, Vietanamese and Arab gangs. All have disappeared into the background and are hard to pick from other Australians.

Each wave of refugee's have bought with it large numbers of unattached minors, who are badly traumise. After a period of time these problems disappeared.
Posted by Flo, Monday, 8 October 2007 1:43:01 PM
Well said Irfan.Banjo you are bonkers. DReseor learn the difference between an Immigrant and a Refugee.Prejudice and ignorance win the day with you two. Have you any idea of the situation from which Sudanese have fled?
The problem for refugees accepted into Australian is the paucity of assistance available to overcome trauma, to learn English, to reskill and to understand the environment into which they have been accepted.
Why further diadvantage and traumatise people already suffering both?
Why not seek to maximise Australian talents and nuture Australians who are not so well off?
Howard and his mob of lemmings are seriously flawed individuals. They have given no mercy,they can't expect to recieve any.
Bruce Haigh
Posted by Bruce Haigh, Monday, 8 October 2007 2:06:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy