The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No fishnets please - we’re Democrats > Comments

No fishnets please - we’re Democrats : Comments

By Lyn Allison, published 28/9/2007

It is true the media like a show but we trust Australians understand how important the Democrats are - still keeping the bastards honest.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
But shouldn't you start with keeping yourselves honest?
Posted by Reynard, Friday, 28 September 2007 9:04:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems to be an unfortunate feature of politics that if you're not showy, you get ignored.
Unfortunately for the Australia Democrats they do not have a showy style. Also, unfortunately, they do not attract huge funding.

I will admit that I used to see them as but pale Liberals.

However, As Senator Allison shows, The Australian Democrats are not just a pale version of our neo-con, Bush-worshipping Liberals.

At this critical time for Australia - we don't have the luxury to think "left-wing" or "right-wing". We are faced with the global threat of the warming planet, and the nuclear threat of the so-called "nuclear renaissance".

The Australian Democrats have shown that unlike the major parties, they can think and show some imagination - considering the future for our children and grandchildren.

This election should see support for the Democrats from people who can think and who care.
Christina Macpherson www.antinuclearaustralia.com
Posted by ChristinaMac, Friday, 28 September 2007 9:15:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You have to hand it to anyone who hears, and responds to, the call to keep on trying in this dog-eat-dog democracy of ours -- but that does not detract from the doom of this lot.

The Democrats are stuffed. And deservedly so, because they brought it on themselves. Meg Lees, John Cherry, and anyone they could convince to join them got sucked in by the allure of the big deal on GST.

What is more, Lyn Allison lead the supporting charge by voting for that deal in the Senate. You cannot keep bastards honest when you have been so utterly seduced by them.

Apologies if this sounds like a partisan rant. One of Lees' advisers lied to me (and to several others) directly at the time the deal was going down (pretending the Democrats would insist on provisions to reduce the impact on students when in fact he had already agreed to the exact opposite), so I take some satisfaction from seeing where they have all come to now.
Posted by Tom Clark, Friday, 28 September 2007 10:28:23 AM
Said it before, say it again, opportunity will probably still be missed.

You have one chance; merge with the Greens.
Posted by Lev, Friday, 28 September 2007 10:35:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Lyn

Great post, but hey I'm biased. Looks like you've attracted the usual comments about the GST and a comparison to the Greens. I highly doubt there's been a time in the Dems 30 year history when they weren't heavily criticised for something or other.

I suppose it's only human for people to focus on the one or two things they don't like and forget about all the good stuff....and there really is a lot of good stuff about the Democrats.

Keep up the good work Lyn.
Posted by Vicki Stocks, Friday, 28 September 2007 10:56:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tom, get over yourself and the GST for that matter. The Dems aren't perfect but pound for pound they work harder and make more sense than any other politcal party we have. I'm afraid too many will only realise their importance once they're gone, like you Tom. What's your alternative Tom, you know you could put your hand up yourself.

As for merging with the Greens, I agree they should work more closely together, all the minority parties and independents should but I don't agree with merging.

Good luck to the Dems, they'll get my vote in the Senate
Posted by SpaceO, Friday, 28 September 2007 11:56:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy