The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Filtering the Internet > Comments

Filtering the Internet : Comments

By Kevin Rennie, published 16/8/2007

The Government's Internet filter program: is it an appropriate role for government? Will we be getting value for money? Is it practicable? Who will control the regulators?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"You'll understand when you're younger"

http://www.peacefire.org/
Posted by Lev, Thursday, 16 August 2007 9:56:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I tend to think that if your an adult you should be able to see and read what you want,all of this is Howard and co pandering to the Religious right.
Why you would want to pander to a bunch of fools whose main thing in life seems to be interfering in everyone else,s is beyond me,these clods (Hillsong AoG ect)are like the old snake oil sales men, why anyone would believe the crap the pastor peddles just proves the old saying "theres a sucker born ever minute"
If you cant control what your kids see and read don,t expect someone else to do it for you
Posted by j5o6hn, Thursday, 16 August 2007 10:20:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am opposed to Internet filtering for several reasons. One is once it starts you no longer know just what is being filtered. I fervently believe adults should be able to see and read anything, excluding obvious illegal items.

I certainly believe children should be protected from being exposed to unsuitable material, but this is for the parents to manage. I do not support filtering by government, even to protect children for one very important reason.

I believe parents depending on government filtering is far more dangerous than a parent having to take 100% of the responsibility. No matter what software filters are in place- the internet is NOT safe. This mantra must be drummed into the heads of parents. You can bet that any software control will be breached and every kid at school will know how to do it. Whilst the parents are patting themselves on the back because they feel confident their children are protected.
Posted by valter, Thursday, 16 August 2007 12:36:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Isnt this also related to the attempt by the government to ban and censor books and internet sights which promote or glamorize political violence and/or terrorism.

Most of our his-story is a glorification of violence. A chronicle of "important wars".
Wasnt the USA War of Independence from the British a sustained act of terrorism? And an integral part of the collective USA identity/narrative?
Under the current definitions of terrorism it would be totally unacceptable. Should we therefore ban the study of it.

What about the violent struggles for independence and freedom that are a part of the history of most countries in the world---and their civil wars, including those of the UK.

Wasnt the suppression and wholesale slaughter of the Catholic Irish by Cromwell and his hard heads one of the first acts at Cultural genocide or ethnic cleansing? Yet it is a celebrated aspect of some peoples his-stories.

What about the USA civil war. This carnage is almost glorified by scholars and various entusiasts---recreated and re-enacted year after year even.

Under todays definitions they were all sustained acts of terrorism, ethnic cleansing etc etc.

Nelson Mandela is a hero to dark skinned South Africans. As far as I know John Howard (our champion of "freedom") was opposed to him being released from jail.

Michael Collins is a hero to some Irish. Simon Bolivar is a hero to the people of Bolivia. Garibaldi to the Italians. And so on.
Posted by Ho Hum, Thursday, 16 August 2007 12:53:40 PM
I don't have enough room to post the comments I've already made on this topic so here's the link:

http://jamespurser.com.au/blog/Internet_Filtering_-_Lets_Face_Reality
Posted by James Purser, Thursday, 16 August 2007 12:54:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kevin is spot on. There are plenty of filters out there. And you can't beat good old fashioned parental supervision. This is a complete waste of taxpayer's money and a blatant election ploy. Then again what isn't in the lead up to one.
Posted by StabInTheDark, Thursday, 16 August 2007 3:25:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy