The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Unfortunate realities of Pakistan - 60 years on > Comments

Unfortunate realities of Pakistan - 60 years on : Comments

By Syed Atiq ul Hassan, published 21/8/2007

Since its inception 60 years ago Pakistan has gone backwards: a country where feudalism, corruption and religious fanatics control power.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
An informative article Syed.

The historical background of power in Pakistan is rarely presented so clearly.

Its interesting the great extent that the US calls the shots in Pakistan. For example the US has backed Benazir Bhutto as a non-military, democratic, female, leader. The US seems to be backing her again because yet another military dictator is losing support.

However, I think Benazir Bhutto has only ever received lukewarm support from the most powerful government institutions in Pakistan which I see as the Army, ISI and the nuclear weapons research establisments.

Pakistan has, as you said, been poorly governed and I think without a longlasting unifying centre like the Nehru/Gandhi dynasty.

But things could be worse for Pakistan. Without its nuclear weapons I think large parts of it would have been invaded by the US (in puisuit of Taliban and AQ terrorists after 9/11).

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 21 August 2007 2:59:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for this informative article.

I don't normally like military rulers, but it's just possible Musharraf may be better than some of the possible alternatives. Even so, it seems as if Pakistan only stands to get worse and not better under his continued rule.

At the moment I can't see a clear way out of Pakistan's problems. Whilst a government influenced or led by Benazir Bhutto may be preferable to having feudal fundamentalist Taliban-style rule, I doubt if she will be able to solve Pakistan's underlying porblems, which, in common with many other countries, stem from large numbers of people sharing limited and declining natural resources.

A dramatic paradigm shift, and not towards Islamic fundamentalism, nor towards western neoliberal economic 'reforms', will be necessary if Pakistanis are ever to be able to get on top of these problems.
Posted by daggett, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 12:12:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy