The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mick’s story > Comments

Mick’s story : Comments

By Bernie Matthews, published 17/8/2007

State-sponsored child institutions created children who were abused and emotional wastelands: many matured into adult criminals.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
What sad stories are being told on OLO about the abuse and neglect of our children. It is good that there are those who are strong and can stand up against the culture of silence and victimisation aimed at those who speak out and who come forward to tell their stories. They need to be told. It seems unbelievable that this can happen.

Unfortunately things haven't changed too much since then. The difference now is that the type of abuse has moved to a more psychological type as it is less able to be detected by the naked eye. People are still too scared to say anything about abuse and corruption and our Government still has a process in place that ensure that adults who abuse their power and fail in their duty of care are protected.

Education - Keeping them Honest
http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/
Our children deserve better
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 17 August 2007 9:09:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another revealing article by Bernie Matthews. State-sponsored child institutions - ‘emotional wastelands where abused and psychologically crippled children matured into adolescence’ - did indeed ‘create men...who wreaked a terrible vengeance on society’.

Not to detract in any way from Mick’s story (many did end up in gaols) but I thought the most telling sentences were in the quote from the Senate’s Forgotten Australians Report:

We have a one in three chance of leaving care at 16 as girls pregnant or already with child. We have a one in two chance of being homeless within that first year. Only one in 100 of us will get to university, but one in three of us will have attempted suicide. We are also highly likely to wind up addicted to drugs, engaged in prostitution, unemployed, mentally ill or incapable of sustaining loving relationships.

These chilling statistics are supported by a survey completed by CLAN (Care Leavers Network of Australia: www.clan.org.au) in 2007. The survey also shows that the children of former institutionalised children are often victims too. Being brought up without love and affection, and with no experience of what it means to be a father or a mother, is no preparation for being a parent. Family breakdown and difficulties with intimacy are characteristic.

It’s not surprising - but deeply ironic - that 53% of respondents of the CLAN survey (apart from prison inmates) are now dependent on the Government through age, disability or sickness benefits or the dole.

The Forgotten Australians Report made 39 Recommendations to Government including the need for redress for victims of abuse and neglect in institutions. The Commonwealth Government cynically passed the buck to the States, churches and charities.

Some of these have issued apologies and a minority have implemented redress schemes (Queensland and Tasmania alone of the States). Some have given former inmates access to their files to help reconstruct their childhood stories.

But there is a long way to go with proper redress schemes, dedicated counselling and aged care services. The State failed them as children. It’s not too late to make good.
Posted by FrankGol, Friday, 17 August 2007 12:02:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can relate to the truama you and many others have endured in the state run institutional systems. I too was subjected to similiar barbaric and draconian treatment at the hands of the Salvation Army in 2 of their institutions in Bayswater Victoria.
Major Francis the superintendant at Bayswater boys home was a saistic bully and took great pleasure in inflicting harsh beatings on many of the children in his care. Envoy Collins was a cunning peodophyle and subjected many of us to being sexually asaulted by him. Like you we had no one to complain to and when we did no one believed us.
Unlike you I became a career criminal, a social outcast and climbed the ranks of the now disbanded painters and dockers unoin. A long list of my friends most of who'm I met in institutions are dead, many killed in underworld fueds. In 1990 in Sydney I almost lost my life by being stabbed by 2 local criminals from NSW. I returned to Melbourne in 1991 and stayed with my sister and her family. I met lady and settled down but unfortunately the relationship didn't last.
I decided to change my ways and become an honest citizen. I could not do this under my own name as my criminal past kept catching up with me. In 1996 I changed my name by deed poll and created a new identity. Since then I have led a law abiding life, avoiding all criminal friends. Due to my disappearence from the criminal elements and life style rumours circulated that I must have been dead.
In recent years in Victoria there was a class action against the Salvation Army by ex inmates of Bayswater Boys Home, unfortunately I did not have the courage to join the class action for fear that it would rekindle old friendships with active criminals and their families.
Once again Mick congratulations for making a good life for yourself and trying to change the evil system of state run institutions.
Keep up the good work and I wish you and yours my best wish's
Posted by gypsy, Saturday, 18 August 2007 10:14:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author knows he was alone at far too early an age, but you do not have to be institutionalized to suffer.
A family known to me neglected its children until Friday Saturday and Sunday.
On those days a drunken father flogged and abused each in turn while mum did nothing.
Those children saw a whole country village call the dead useless beast DOCS for help.
People paid to protect children did nothing, found excuses to do nothing or to keep that family together.
2 of the seven children are now in prison most will one day join them.
We must do far better in child welfare.
A massive improvement would be gained if right now this minute all those spectators in the department of youth and community services are flogged out of the building and out of the job.
Mum? Dad? both should be in prison a child is not our property we can do better.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 19 August 2007 6:48:02 AM
Absolutely, Belly.
I was, myself a victim of horrendous abuse by my own parents as a child to the extent that I will have to suffer health problems for the rest of my life.
I was lucky enough not to have ended up a violent person myself even though I was a product of the "What goes on behind a man's closed door is his own business" generation.
Incidentally, my charming father got away with what he did to the five of us, scot free.
Posted by Goddess, Sunday, 19 August 2007 3:01:46 PM
This one did not, it took years but mum left took the kids to a new man and left, gee I truly hope it is forever.
He too hid behind the what goes on at home stays at home lie.
It hurts so very deeply to watch those kids and know the education they got at home and maybe the fact they have some of him in them will hurt children for generations to come.
Why do we, those who care put up with idiots on government payroll who do not
Posted by Belly, Monday, 20 August 2007 5:57:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy