The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australian Muslims have no need for a mufti > Comments

Australian Muslims have no need for a mufti : Comments

By Hossein Esmaeli, published 27/6/2007

The office of mufti in Australia is not necessary and should, under no circumstances, be officially recognised in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Well said, agree 100%.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 9:42:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well written Hossein Esmaeli. It's nice to see some one educated in Islamic law advocating the full use of the civil courts system and laws over Islamic Courts and law. However, the Sheikh al-Hilali's of the world aside. Shouldn't there be some faith representation and authority that Muslims with questions can approach for answers and maybe live closer to their faith with out having to reject their "Australianness".
I like your promise of an inclusive greater Australian community, and maybe a Mufti in the traditional authoritative role is redundant but, I do think a "Head of Church" is an important social religious station. It not only solidifies a faith view but, also unifies individual communities in faith. A bit of an anchor if you like.
Posted by aqvarivs, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 10:19:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aqvar...

The existence of either a head of Church.. or a Mufti, is in some ways dangerous in my view. Both suggest 'big organizations'.

The Head of the Church is Christ. This is fairly simplistic, I know, and without some guiding luminary to 'shepherd' doctrinal issues, many small groups will tend to launch out in their own direction, as happened in the early days of the young Church and was the cause of the bigger councils and attempts at protecting orthodoxy for the whole Church.

Dills like Marcion, who

"rejected the writings of the Old Testament and taught that Christ was not the Son of the God of the Jews, but the Son of the good God, who was different from the God of the Ancient Covenant."

Or..in the Islamic history stream there are people like Rashad Khalifa who claims to be the 'final MESSENGER of Allah' (as opposed to the final 'prophet' of Allah)

"During my Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, and before sunrise on Tuesday, Zul-Hijjah 3, 1391, December 21, 1971, I, Rashad Khalifa, the soul, the real person, not the body, was taken to some place in the universe where I was introduced to all the prophets as God's Messenger of the Covenant. I was not informed of the details and true significance of this event until Ramadan 1408.

His emergence relies on the interpretation of ONE verse in the Quran... in fact he relies on one WORD "a" for his legitimacy.

But Islam ? It's verrrry hard to escape the idea of a 'Caliph' or a big boss, general, mover and shaker. It began, grew and expanded as a 'state' with a 'Head of State'.

A thought for FH to ponder :) "Why was it that the 'message' of Islam had no serious impact until Mohammad had political 'POWER' in Medina"?

Hmmm.*thinks*

"Islam cannot survive without political power"

One Eqytian radical arrested in USA openly admitted this. (can't find his name right now)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 10:54:40 AM
The appointment of any mufti is not welcomed by many Australians at all dear author.

It is simply a relief from that invoker of hate.

Frankly Australia doesn't need any Muslims. Or Christians, Or any religion other than those that practice their beliefs as indivuduals and leave everyone else alone.

No brain washing children by forcing them to read Bibles, Korans and the rest.

Here's an interesting stat from today's Census figures. look this up for yourself.

Australia has 1.7% Muslims. Fine, they are entitled to their beliefs.

Australia has 2% Buddhists. What? But we never hear them telling us what to do!

Australia has, well, far too many Christians, regardless of %.

How can we manage if a religion doesn't spread propaganda at every opportunity?

It's simple. The Buddhists just do what they believe in, and here's the big difference, thay actually practice it too.

Name one other religion that does that. Christian is by far the worst offender but most of the others are coming down the straight in a race for second place.

Enough of religious leaders going public. Preach to those who bother to turn up and that's it.

I say we need laws to prevent this constant stream of attempted conversions. We have a "do not call" line. What about a "Do not attempt conversion" line?
Posted by RobbyH, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 2:25:08 PM
An interesting article

It's good to see OLO showcasing the diversity - and reasonableness - of Australian Islam, in contrast to the shock-jock sensationalism of mainstream media that highlight only the idiots like Hilali.

Boaz_David - you say, "Islam cannot survive without political power". Where do you think Christianity would be without Constantine, and the imperial/colonial activities of Rome, Constantinople, the Holy Roman Empire, Britain, Spain, Portugal, Germany … ?
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 3:05:48 PM
Actually the religion that seemed top be the fastest growing was Hinduism. That' s OK, they seem a peaceful lot , mind their own business and don't keep drawing attention to themselves.
What we need most is people who want the best for this country, who wish to see its freedom of speech,religion,principles grow and grow.
We do not need the muftis who spew their hatred, ignorance and intolerance. Stick them in their own countries, don't let them in here.
Posted by mickijo, Wednesday, 27 June 2007 3:37:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy