The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rudd - legitimately ambitious or a control freak? > Comments

Rudd - legitimately ambitious or a control freak? : Comments

By Mark Bahnisch, published 21/6/2007

Nicholas Stuart’s 'Kevin Rudd: An Unauthorised Political Biography', to be published on Saturday, reveals a man who doesn't take kindly to opposing views.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Haven't read the book but from Mark's article the similarities between Rudd and Howard are pretty striking. During their political careers, that is. Nobody seems to know what childhood trauma produced John Howard's aversion to the disadvantage.

The single-minded determination, the tight control over image, learning from mistakes and remaking himself as required all describe Howard as well. So does working around the clock, although Howard doesn't seem to mind if others around him doze off occasionally.

The outstanding difference between them as I see it is their intellect and aptitude for education. It's becoming common knowledge that Howard limped his way through school and uni, thought a kiwi is a brand of boot polish, had to have economics explained to him with cuisinaire rods when he became treasurer and so on. It's a bit hard to see at what point Howard starting working hard to achieve his goals.

Rudd seems to have worked hard on himself and his goals from childhood and has the intellectual capacity to work things out for himself. It makes me wonder whether he's as vain as he's made out to be, or just justifiably proud of his achievements.
Posted by chainsmoker, Thursday, 21 June 2007 1:29:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kev was known to be an arrogant bugger in the Goss government, thought that all the worlds problems could be fixed if everyone learnt to speak Manderin.

He won't listen to anything other than his own echo..

Very myopic, very ideologically challenged.
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 21 June 2007 1:37:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
FrankGol, Kerr did work for the Libs, but listen to him on Phillip Adams little wireless programme. He is often quite damning of Howard and the Libs. and always supercilious towards them.
With such a commanding lead in the polls Rudd is likely to win the next election. I've speculated that the Libs. best chance of winning would be to get Rudd talking as much as possible, and to engage with him at every chance. He comes across to me as an ambitious soul who is something of a control freak: who intellectually understands issues, but lacks real empathy. I find something robotic in his delivery and character which would be exposed if he were confronted with 'live' issues.eg the Burke lies or the 'stolen' document, later shown to be his mistake.
Posted by palimpsest, Thursday, 21 June 2007 4:33:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rudd is ambitious and a control freak. He is not however legitimately ambitious and he may find that the unions make it hard for him to be in control
Posted by Communicat, Thursday, 21 June 2007 4:40:45 PM
What does 'legitimately ambitious' mean Communicat?

Sounds a bit like a Rudd-ism to me, like the fork too far or you can't teach an old dog to call a pot a black kettle.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it change its leopard spots.

Hey, this is fun.

A stitch in time saves a bird in the hand.

Ok. Move on folks. Nothing to see here. Chainy's head got broken trying to decipher 'legitimately ambitious'.
Posted by chainsmoker, Thursday, 21 June 2007 5:05:33 PM
Ah well now I was not the one to use the phrase...I am not sure that there is such a thing as being "legitimately ambitous" - but if it means you want to get to the top and don't mind who you tread on to get there does not that describe all pollies?
Is it legitimate if you attain your goal? Mmm...I doubt it...sounds a bit too like a dictatorship to me - but that is what Rudd would like of course...only problem us the unions will get in the way...like big business gets in the way of Howard...neither side can win.
Posted by Communicat, Thursday, 21 June 2007 5:11:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy