The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Out of sight, out of mind? > Comments

Out of sight, out of mind? : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 2/5/2007

The human and financial cost of off-shore detention will continue to be enormous, and completely unnecessary.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Andrew, I've shown your picture around the terminal ward at the Westmead Children's Hospital. They want to know when you'll take up their cause and other issues that impact Australians...you know, battered wives, victims of rape, child victims of incest, homeless Australians etc.
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 2 May 2007 1:50:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Really good article. Australia's bizarre system of processing refugees has the added benefits of being overtly inhumane and hideously expensive. I suspect that this is because immigration policy has been framed for political rather than practical reasons. I also suspect that the offshore processing of refugees is aimed at keeping the issue out of sight rather than the actual deterrence of 'queue jumpers'. That money could be put to much better use, such as the efficient processing of refugee claims so that people aren't left rotting in detention centres for years on end at the taxpayers expense.

In an election year, I'd like to see a refugee policy that isn't a slave to the immature and illogical fears of a small portion of the Australian populace.
Posted by Tak, Wednesday, 2 May 2007 2:00:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sage, by logical extension of your argument no MP should disagree with Howard Government policy on any international matters, or, if they do, they shouldn't express anything more than token objection.

Oh wait, the caveat there is that they're allowed to once Australia is a utopia.

Is that how you think Australian foreign policy should be decided?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 2 May 2007 2:28:23 PM
TRTL yes by all means let's encourage dissent and let's hear other views. However, flying a stray cat from Manus Island to Australia (at taxpayers' expense of course)in order to reunite it with an asylum shopper would only seem to confirm that Mr Barlett lives in a world of oneirataxia. Wouldn't the money be better spent on giving Mr and Mrs Smith respite for a weekend while their invalid loved one is placed cared for by someone else? We are talking about logic, are we not?
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 2 May 2007 2:47:34 PM
Sage - your argument indicates that Bartlett is either wasting time, resources or both. You'd rather have him focusing on causes for Australians correct?

But you don't address the key planks of this - Bartlett's arguing that our migration system allows temporary workers but not refugees - it's arguing that the current system is spending an excessive amount of money - Australian money - on an issue that is largely for political rather than practical purposes. So economically speaking, he is arguing for what he believes will be better economic outcomes for Australia.

Outcomes that can ultimately boost productivity, thus a boost in taxes which can be spent on the suitably Australian problems faced by the children in Westmead hospital...

If you disagree with me or Bartlett, fair enough - but you're not even disagreeing with the argument. You're trying to dismiss it entirely, and that's a different matter.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 2 May 2007 3:09:26 PM
Sage, you made the same feeble attempt to divert attention from the basic injsutice, stupidity and wastage involved in this policy last time I had an article regarding refugees published on this site http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=5345.

I corrected your allegation towards me on that occasion, which can only mean you are engaging in deliberate smear by repeating something similar. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised - it seems to be a common line of 'argument' for many who want to defend a policy which deliberately brutalises people, (including children who you profess concern for) to just respond with smear.

One can only assume that people who are homeless and/or escaping violence, rape, incest, etc only concern you when they are Australians. Even if one wants to take a position as selfish as yours, this policy acts against Australia's own self-interest in a number of ways. My article addresses only one of the reasons why.
Posted by AndrewBartlett, Thursday, 3 May 2007 12:59:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy