The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Bush-Cheney war record > Comments

The Bush-Cheney war record : Comments

By Walt Brasch, published 16/4/2007

President Bush has adopted a bunker mentality in the face of accusations of inadequate funding and too few troops for the War in Iraq.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This is what happens when a government gives naught but lip-service to accountability. Something that Australians can learn from.

So what allows this kind of incompetence to flourish?

1) I suppose it could be argued that opposition to the war neutered the process, and that it meant insufficient troops were sent.

I guess if you ask someone who has opposed the war to support an increased troop surge, you may not get what you're asking for. In this case however, I haven't seen any indication the democrats were behind this inadequate preparation. If a poster can indicate otherwise, I'd be interested. I tend to think a strong opposition would have improved the situation rather than harming it I think every government needs to be subjected to intense scrutiny, especially when decisions of this nature are being debated.

When you have a minor cabal making major decisions, then you have problems. I'd say in order for the situation to improve in future, then those responsible for such mistakes need to be brought to justice, yet already ther democrats have backed away from launching investigations into the bush regime - not a good sign for the future.

Back in Australia, I was disheartened by the Howard government's massive majority at the last election. A significant majority leads to watered down accountability - take a look at the Qld Labor government, or even that of NSW to see what I mean.

Unfortunately, wall to wall labor governments don't give me much hope for the future either... whatever side wins, I hope it isn't a landslide...
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 16 April 2007 12:08:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Any 'King' would send his knights to do battle in armor.?!
Posted by bonafide, Tuesday, 17 April 2007 12:17:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy