The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Weighing up Australian values > Comments

Weighing up Australian values : Comments

By Brian Howe, published 12/4/2007

Work, families, responsibilities, balance - a social policy response to ongoing social and economic change in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I was saddened to read this article. Read it very carefully. Brian Howe was one of the most important figures in the Labor Party Left. Look at the underlying assumptions of his analysis; they tell us a lot for what passes as the “Left” in the ALP today. He opens by stating that the “open economy” and “economic change”, code for neo-liberalism and corporate globalisation, has occurred largely because of technological reasons. In fact, the “economic changes” occurred because of decisions made by the Hawke-Keating Government. This is the bedrock assumption (technological determinism) of Thatcher’s “There Is No Alternative” thesis when it comes to corporate globalisation.

Howe goes on to state, “My concern in writing this book was that Australian governments had not anticipated the social policy implications of such profound changes.” This is the foundational assumption here. Notice that corporate globalisation and neo-liberalism is just simply accepted, the task now is to address its “social policy implications”.

The day that the Left of the ALP uncritically accepts neo-liberalism is the day it shall wither away
Posted by Markob, Thursday, 12 April 2007 11:19:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brian, it sounds like an interesting book. I'll add it to my reading list - or rather, my list of books I'd like to read if I had the time.

"It is especially difficult for those balancing work and family responsibilities to keep up with other workers in improving education and skills." Amen to that.

Markob - if the Left can come up with an alternative economic model that actually works, I'm willing to listen.

Cheers!
Posted by Rhys Probert, Thursday, 12 April 2007 8:59:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spot on Markob!

In uncritically adopting Howard's 'Australian Values' rhetoric Professorial Associate Howe A.M. effectively obfuscates the structural reality of our Australian society, er ... sorry, Economy.

The current emphasis on 'flexibility and mobility' and the like are 'values' IMPOSED upon the Working Class (which includes, of course the lower and middle ranks of the so-called Middle Class) by the oligarchy of extremely/obscenely wealthy 'investors' and the new Managerial Class of 'CEOs, CFOs etc whose 'Australian values' reflect for all to see the ethic of Capitalism - 'beggar thy neighbour'!

Coming from the L-A-B-O-R 'Left', Professorial Associate Howe A.M. ought to be well aware of this reality, and yet he remains silent on the topic!
Posted by Sowat, Monday, 16 April 2007 5:48:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy