The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New South Wales voters to have a beer with Hobson > Comments

New South Wales voters to have a beer with Hobson : Comments

By Graham Young, published 23/3/2007

Voters in New South Wales are convinced the Opposition could be worse than the incumbents: a Hobson's choice.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Well, I'm a NSW voter and I've been singularly unimpressed by the NSW Labor government over the last few years. But as so many others have said, look at the alternative.

Rotten Labor vs Toxic Libs. Great.

And the minor parties aren't much better. The Greens have a serious case of the Trots, One Nation are a spent force, the Unity party are a totally unnecessary anti-One-Nation bunch, and I doubt I could stop laughing long enough to vote Democrat!

So I think I'll take the time to check out which independents are running in my seat, and see if I can find out what their policies are.

Cheers!
Posted by Rhys Probert, Friday, 23 March 2007 12:39:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will be voting for the party I belong to the ALP, but I would want blood on the sword from our leader on Monday morning.
Heads should roll big name ones too, but no way no honest way I could vote conservative.
And we the voters of NSW should hope independents do not have control on Monday.
The biggest loss on Monday?
I just hope it is the NSW press, never before has such a biased coverage been seen in this country.
Fox like in the manufacturing and crafting of news it insults voters with its one sided intent.
Would you be pleased to wake to the budgie smuggler leading NSW on Monday?
It could still happen, the fact that some doubt exists highlights the failure of conservatives in all states.
Liberalism old fashioned Liberalism demands from its grave that answers come why the rot in conservatism?
Why have true Liberals been dumped by the right only to see votes fall to all time lows?
I believe conservatives must ask what direction do the electorate want them to take, not what direction they wish to take the electorate.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 23 March 2007 3:42:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Listening to Debenham and Iemma on Channel 7 at 4:40 on today Iemma referred to Debenham promising to slash 20,000 services, he repeated it 3 times. I thought the Liberals promised to slash 20,000 public service jobs.

On Wednesday night on Channel 2 there was a sound bite from Debenham saying that the the Victorian Labor government had slashed public service jobs and put public servants on contract.

Not quite correct Debenham, The Liberal Premier Jeff Kennett slashed the public service and Labor hasn't rebuilt it.

A smaller public service in Victoria has meant that there were only 3 apprenticeships offered in Victoria by the privatised electricity generator, Texas Utilities - which replaces the State Electricity Commission, while the NSW Country Energy had employed 700 apprentices.
Posted by billie, Friday, 23 March 2007 3:58:47 PM
Well let me explain the One Nation scenario...

There are 2 One nation's in NSW. The original one cannot run as David Oldfield prevented it by taking the party name and starting his own party in NSW. I believe now that he's leaving and having almost destroyed both parties he has given the name via the position of Registrar to someone in his One Nation party. Leaving the original ON party still unable to run. Even though it may run federally.

I personally don't think there are enough good people left in either party to run in either election.
Posted by T800, Friday, 23 March 2007 4:30:52 PM
The one aspect of the NSW election that does not seem to have been covered at all is my belief that a vote for Morris Iemma is a vote for John Howard later in the year, and similarly a vote for Peter Debnam is a vote for Kevin Rudd.

The reason I believe this is that if Iemma is returned, many voters later in the year may not like Howard very much, but are not prepared to have one major party running EVERY government in the country.

In addition, there are many nasties that have been saved up for NSW voters until after the election, with the first being the Lane Cove Tunnel. It will be far better for Howard if these nasties are administerd by Iemma than Debnam.

Personally, like many posters, I would like to see a hung parliament, but I can't work out where we should locate the gallows.

p.s: I wonder if the major fire in a Melbourne tunnel will affect the vote?
Posted by plerdsus, Friday, 23 March 2007 4:35:43 PM
Debnam's gonna lose because of Workchoices and some people's intense dislike for John Howard.

Those two things prevent many people from voting for Debnam and the Libs, even though they'd like to give Labor a nuclear-powered boot up the backside.

It's tragic really. I think if not for Debnam's blunder in saying he would hand IR powers to Canberra, he would romp in. Instead we will have another 4 years of a staggeringly corrupt and incompetent Labor government.
Posted by grn, Friday, 23 March 2007 5:41:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy