The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hurley 6747 > Comments

Hurley 6747 : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 9/3/2007

Death in custody: why has Senior Sergeant Hurley's case caused so much anxiety to the powerful police unions?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. All
Where the liver is situated it is protected by the ribs.

To rupture a liver it requires a lot of force like a seatbelt in an accident or the handle bar of a motorbike or pushbike.

A simple fall onto stairs will not rupture a liver.

Now I do not envy a policemans job especially dealing with often violent and intoxicated people.
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 9 March 2007 9:07:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why no hand-wringing about the phenomenal number of aboriginal people dying at the hands of other aboriginal people? Do you simply consider it normal? After spending some time with aborigines in the late 1970's i lost all sympathy for them because their behaviour toward each other was so disgusting.
Posted by citizen, Friday, 9 March 2007 9:34:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
in another country with a proud history of unnacountable law enforcement the Dead Kennedy's re-worked the Clash's 'i fought the law' about a similar situation... 'you can get away with murder if you got a badge'.

Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
I fought the law and I won

The law don't mean .... if you've got the right friends
That's how this country's run
Twinkies are the best friend I've ever had
I fought the law
And I won

I blew George and Harvey's brains out with my six-gun

Gonna write my book and make a
million

I'm the new folk hero of the Ku Klux Klan
My cop friends think that's fine
You can get away with murder if you've got a badge
I fought the law
And I won
I am the law
So I won.
Posted by its not easy being, Friday, 9 March 2007 10:52:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you want to talk about getting off easy for criminal offences look at this http://www.australian-news.com.au/abosentence.htm
Aborigines ony get 42% sentence for equivalent crimes.
Posted by citizen, Friday, 9 March 2007 11:57:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“I don’t begrudge anyone from voicing a protest on any matter but one would have thought it more prudent of police to await the outcome of a jury of Hurley’s peers to arrive at a verdict before trying to influence the court’s outcome by threatening to march on Parliament House as well as an array of other innovative planned actions.”

I most definitely do begrudge the police taking this course of action.

The message they are sending to the community is powerful and grossly wrong. This message is that the police are above the law; that the very notion of a police officer being charged and tried is completely unacceptable; that the notion of innocence until guilt is proven or shown beyond a reasonable doubt should not apply at all to police – they should simply be seen as innocent all the time; that even in a matter as serious as a death in custody, with such grave implications for the officer involved, a trial by his peers is simply out of the question.

I share Stephen Hagan’s deep disgust at this development. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything more putrid.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 9 March 2007 1:51:23 PM
Citizen,should be called Citizen Roguespere.
His disgust of Aboriginals is typical of the senseless cruelty handed down to those of us less able to defend ourselves,in law and on the streets.
Young Aboriginals do not run from the Police because they have committed a crime but rather the fear that they will be accused of a crime that somebody else has committed.
Yes I you were born Aboriginal and lived outside Melbourne or Sydney
you are easy pickings.
Australia has not changed the Convict image in two hundred years and probably will never with racists promoting Police /Jailers crimes.
Posted by BROCK, Friday, 9 March 2007 2:40:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy