The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Iemma isn't 'Italian for Unsworth' > Comments

Why Iemma isn't 'Italian for Unsworth' : Comments

By Graham Young, published 5/3/2007

Voters perceive Morris Iemma to be uninspiring while Peter Debnam lacks strength of character: Labor has been in power too long and the NSW Liberals are run by 'rednecks' and Christian 'nutters'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I'm starting to feel the same way with regards to ALL political parties, especially between Liberal and Labor in any State, but an emailed message came to me recently which highlighted and article supposedly written by the columnist John Carter in "The Land" newspaper which made me think (if true) that in the case of environmental issues, Mr. Iemma is not only well out of touch, but morally bankrupt as well. In relation to over population and sustainability issues, Mr. Iemma made a statement to John Carter that... “there is no point in saving the planet if we ruin the economy doing it”.
What a hell of a thing to say. I've actually taken to time to write to Mr. Iemma's office asking for a clarification of the statement and although they have had plenty of time to get back to me, I have, to the present time, received no official denial of the statement. To a Labor voter, this has seriously challenged my loyality to the Labor Party in general and could very well sway my vote towards another party in the 2007 elections. Sadly, I don't feel the religious right will be any better. No wonder there's no interest in political involvement for many average Australians. We're powerless to resist the ongoing economic machine even when realising it will eventually destroy all we hold dear
Posted by Aime, Monday, 5 March 2007 10:48:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't understand the Liberal Party. Why do they need to betray their origins as a 'liberal' party by moving to the far right and accommodating the xenophobes and god botherers?

I'm a traditional Labor voter, but would gladly vote for the Liberals in NSW if they trod a moderate, managerialist and inclusive line with someone like a Brogden or Greiner in charge.

The fact is Carr survived for years by sucking on the tit of property stamp duty. Now that source of revenue has dried up, the loathsome mediocrities in the state Labor Party are running NSW into the ground.

Populist and media-driven they indeed are. In fact, the rotten-ness of the ALP in NSW is remarkably similar to the stench emitting from the Howard-led Coalition in Canberra. Both governments have been in office too long and are past their use-by dates. They have forgotten why they hold power and now merely want to remain in power for its own sake. Hence, the desparate cynicism of their political tactics.

The 'Mum and Dad' theory says voters like the conservatives in Canberra looking after the economy and national security; and Labor in the states spending on health and education.

But I think Australia would be better off now if that was reversed. Put Dad in charge of the states to kick heads and get Mum into Canberra to clean up the mess left by Howard.

But first the Liberals need to live up to their name.
Posted by Mr Denmore, Monday, 5 March 2007 12:04:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The resignation of Brogden, with the assistance of the vicious media, was a blow to the Liberal Party whose heavy-weights fail to offer sufficient pastoral care to its young.

Seemingly, a night out on the town (coupled with some inane commentary) is far more imprudent for politicians than the methodical corruption of governments (as seen in WA) by its members who are not expelled from parliament and refuse to resign.

After the annual convention in Melbourne for the Young Liberal Movement, the West Australian (27/1/07)outlined the movement's policies:

"A commitment to nuclear power and resisting any action to tackle alleged man-made global warming until there is conclusive evidence of its existence"

"Coal is a clean, low cost source of energy which Australians must continue to use"

"Prohibitions on tobacco advertising are an insult to the intelligence of the ordinary Australian"

"People are to work to the age of 70 before they are entitled to pension eligibility."

The Liberal party (infiltrated by "holy joes") and its politically naive young are now controlled by Dad's Army - out of touch, out of favour - hence the resignation of more members (mine included.)

My knowledge of political machinations is limited, however, many ordinary folk see a need for a complete review of conservative values to better fit the 21st century. I, and others, with similar beliefs have reviewed those philosophies and managed to alter them accordingly to fit in with the age of enlightenment.

The Liberal Party, with its inability to acknowledge the current state of the environment, or the concerns of its members where outspoken members are simply gagged, will remain in the wilderness in NSW and other states which begs the question: "Who will one vote for now?"

A 70 year old acquaintance of mine, from the Eastern States, has for the past ten years, on polling day, simply marked her paper with two words: G**^^% F**%%$$!

That, I suspect, may be the view of the silent majority.

And perhaps I too, despairingly, see some merit in this old woman's message!
Posted by dickie, Monday, 5 March 2007 2:02:09 PM
The Liberal Party has it's problems with disorganised factionalism affected by over grown egoism where they find it hard to work with each other. Unlike the ALP where members will work hard to have their candidate elected no matter how much they hate them.

A matter which makes it hard for any Opposition to win government is when the apathetic voter does not care about the essential services that are fallling apart. Not to forget how easy people believe a 'Labor Lie' which is all too common.

The NSW Liberals must learn how cooperate amongst each other, learn how to campaign and most of all, learn how to motivate taking positive campaigning instead of the American styled 'hate' politics during elections which both sides are guilty of.
Posted by Spider, Monday, 5 March 2007 2:36:00 PM
Incredible. 11% rate climate change while 8% for infrastructure.

More evidence for non-compulsory voting/attendance. 30 years ago lefties where bleating about Global Cooling, yep -- Cooling. Australia can only improve 1% of the hypothetical problem of Climate Change (six months ago this term wasn’t used Global Warming was) the unopposed secular progressive media constantly instil fear. Apparently, it is ethical when they instil fear but a cardinal sin if J Howard attempts the same.

Warming or Change? The average world temp since 1998 has started to fall! Shazaam!

Voters are happy to shoot themselves in the foot in order to teach those fundamentalist Christians a lesson. I certainly can't disagree with this observation. But, is that a reasonable response? I don't think so.

In the mean time the traffic chaos increases every year, our public schools are constructed like buildings in an upmarket shanty town, we wait 25 minutes for police to respond to an armed robbery, our mentally ill are more likely to be gaoled than put in a psychiatric hospital and our social fabric is buckling under the strain of valuing all cultures equally.

28% expect a hung parliament. It is encouraging that 1/4 of the population have thought about the election a bit longer than it takes to plan their evening meal.

Problem -- the Greens (& Animal Lib google that) will run NSW.

Now the clouds begin to roll back, regarding the media and unrelenting climate change fear mongering. Environmental fears = Green Votes that = the balance of power for 2007 to 2011 = more dead Koalas in the Pilliga forest, more marine parks--never mind that Australia now has 70% of the ocean parks, run more farmers out of business by stealing their land and water with no compensation etc.

Greens = no fishing, no farming, no 4WDing, bans on specific breeds of dogs and more feral animals and children, no more roads, no more mines.

Economic havoc results while the only parties to counter the Greens are the Christian Democrats and the Shooters party in the upper house. Shooters or Christians, the real question.
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Monday, 5 March 2007 5:02:27 PM
Spot on Spider! Ooops no yelling. spot on spider
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Monday, 5 March 2007 5:09:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy