The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rivers need more than cowboy heroes > Comments

Rivers need more than cowboy heroes : Comments

By Mark McGovern, published 2/3/2007

Like some Western hero, the Commonwealth is now seen riding into town to impose good order over the Murray-Darling.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Does anyone think it is interesting that the lying rodent wants to repair the Murray/Darling, and have more water capacity in it at a time when his old mate Ron Walker is beginning a nuclear power company. Water is of course one of the key components for nuclear power stations, it seems Mr. Walker would like to build one in Victoria, and one in South Australia.

Could there be secondary benefits to having more water in the Murray/Darling....
Posted by SHONGA, Friday, 2 March 2007 10:38:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My major concern is not about Chairman Ron who has no regard for the little people. As Lord Mayor Ron famously wanted to preserve horse riding around the tan, is notorious for making his workers work 10+ hour days in cramped offices with broken chairs whilst the board room has space and ergonomic furniture for their weekly meeting. Chairman Ron raged when the Commonwealth Games volunteers complained about the food but it was Prince Edward who ate in the canteen.

My concern is that the Minister for Privatisation is also Minister for Water. I am concerned about his dismal performance on 7:30 Report against Peter Garrett when he quite clearly hadn't learnt the talk. If the Commonwealth controls the Murray Darling Basin water supply then we can kiss our food supplies good bye!
Posted by billie, Friday, 2 March 2007 11:26:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Billie... even though it's unlikely I'll ever vote Liberal, I don't think it's fair to say Turnbull did miserably on that 7:30 report interview.

I've always defended the ABC, though on that instance it was clear Garrett had plenty of time to state his entire case, but Turnbull was always cut off... plus he was defending a government that really has been slack on environmental issues, so to do a decent job in that interview was one hell of an ask.

For my two bob, I don't think the Murray Darling issue has much to do with nuclear power at all. I think it's more to do with the fact that water is becoming the top concern for those in drought declared areas.

Look at Brisbane. Level 5 restrictions being introduced.
The reasoning behind the water announcement was to curry votes for the election, with any nuclear considerations so far in the background to that concern they're nearly negligible.

Besides, something clearly does need to be done about water, so even if it is largely to curry votes, I'm not so sure you can simply dismiss it as vote buying.

What is interesting is the Bradfield Scheme, while clearly unfeasible, would actually deliver additional water. As far as I can tell, all the government is really doing for the murray darling is purchasing water entitlements: read, relocating farmers. Not a bad move, but not a lifesaving one.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 2 March 2007 12:15:01 PM
Problems with Murray Darling Basin water

1. I know a farmer that paid $46,000 for his water rights this year and was not allowed to take any water - makes my $1200 domestic water bill look paltry.

2. There is lax policing of water allocations. One farmer has been caught sticking sticks in his meter countless times with no penalty.

3. Some states allocate twice the amount of water than is available in a wet year

4. We are using more water per head of population than we used to, to generate electricity, because we soak in the shower etc

5. Do we want to adopt a strict user pays regime where we might find that all the MDB water was used for rice/cotton and towns while the orchards, vineyards and dairy industry lost its water allocation

6. Are we going to manage the land in the catchment area to encourage rainfall and capture run off. i.e. restrict forestry and encourage revegetation

Malcolm Turnbull didn't begin to address those issues and just indulged in loud, repetitive tub thumping.
Posted by billie, Friday, 2 March 2007 12:30:27 PM
Turn Right,
Something clearly needs to be done about Industrial Relations also mate, but Howard's not changing that. The lying rodent, always has at least two agendas for anything he does, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Posted by SHONGA, Friday, 2 March 2007 1:04:04 PM
billie,

I don't understand why we "kiss our food supplies goodbye" in relation to the commonwealth takeover of water. What will they be doing with the water? Or have you realised you haven't been paying enough for food. The best return for water is producing fresh vegies, but it's only a limited market. You will end up paying more for milk, but you pay more for bottled water so that shouldn't be a surprise.
Bread and meat don't rely on irrigation so you won't starve.
Posted by rojo, Friday, 2 March 2007 7:30:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy