The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > From Ice Age to Global Warming in 30 years > Comments

From Ice Age to Global Warming in 30 years : Comments

By Richard Castles, published 28/2/2007

With the Internet, the first 'global' issue - global warming - found its perfect medium, and promptly spread like a virus.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
If we're due for an Ice Age but it's actually getting warmer things must be worse than we thought.

You could be right about air conditioned buildings being grand places in 2068. If the bulk of the citizenry have to live in Coober Pedy style dugouts I'd head for those buildings as well.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 9:32:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why are all these scientist claiming there is global warming if it was hotter in Canberra 38 years ago? Silly scientist
Posted by treyster, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 10:10:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great article, puts all the hysteria into perspective.
Posted by jeremy29, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 11:36:47 AM
the most ironic bit of all is the fact that the climate cretins, after all the extraordinary technological change over the past 40 years, still refuse to concede any role for technology is improving carbon management.

They routinely disparage the notion of a "technofix" in the face of overwhelming evidence that solutions get better and cheaper the longer we wait. Instead, they expect us to do the climate equivalent of going $4 million into debt to buy a computer that needs a whole room to fit it but which has only a fraction of the capability of todays lap top. Won't the kids be glad we rushed into a premature solution, "for the sake of the kids" no less, when they are still paying off the useless old dinosour in 2048?
Posted by Perseus, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 1:21:09 PM
I was a scientifically-literate young man in the 70s. How come I have no memory of the global cooling scare that skeptics often trot out. So Newsweek had an article: big deal.

So the scare is all bred on the internet because you can prove it by googling. Get a grip. I can get over 100 million hits when I google George W Bush and 144 million for astrology. So what does that prove? I bet your great-great grandkids will remember global warming long after George W is a footnote in a fossil fuels magazine you can find in the antiques section.

Perhaps you could give us some indication of any qualifications or knowledge you have to back up your opinion Richard? Your research seems pretty shallow. That’s the trouble with global warming, everyone thinks he can have an opinion about the science because he can remember one hot day.

So perseus, your think Moore's law applies to fossil fuel use, hey. Thats news to me. So what evidence do you have to justify that?
for one thing, if I put off buying a new computer the world doesn't change. If we delay tackling global warming we escalate the problem. Don't technical fixes come from scientific types? Well thousands of them are telling you that they can't see an easy technofix. Why don't you listen to the guys that you allege will deliver the goods and not to the economists and politicians.
Posted by skeptical of skeptics, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 2:24:18 PM
Overpopulation causes extinction, and high property prices.

Did you really think you could breed to infinity ?

Peter Costello does.

Global warming or no global warming, where are you going to get your water from, your beef, your paper, your electricity and iron ore ?..
the moon ?

What is your target population for this country, do you even have one ?
Please stop wrecking my planet.
Posted by moploki, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 3:00:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy