The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Peter Garrett - a beacon for a contradictory age > Comments

Peter Garrett - a beacon for a contradictory age : Comments

By James Rose, published 28/2/2007

Peter Garrett stands for a great deal that many Australians hold dear and his ethical dilemmas are ones we can relate to.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
While ever community leaders join the mainstream political parties and the condition of joining is that they cease to advocate the positions that saw them gain prominence no real change is ever achieved. if Garrett wont fight for those issues around which he established himself then wats the point of a political career. So no US bases policy thrown out, no uranium mining thrown out, support for the coal industry OK, support for unfair dismissal laws not needed, what's next Pete vote against indigenous rights to support the WA party? What a waste of a life of activism. better to stand on the outside and raise issues than to get on the inside and sell out your values on the promise of achieving something in the never-never. Enjoy the perks cause you aint going to enjoy changing anything.
Posted by KrissD, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 9:10:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think he already is a "tragic figure" - neutered by the Labor party.

"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Give me a break.
Posted by Megan, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 12:59:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Please prove us wrong Peter and be as forthright as you were in the Oils. We need politics to inspire more than ever - we have a generation who have no interest in politics or see all politicians as self-serving aspirational weasels - this needs to change. I feel Garrett was wheeled in to work the youth vote - time will tell if it works.

The Maxine Factor however was a much more astute appointment - and I'd dearly love to see her debate with our beloved PM...
Posted by stormont, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 1:17:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think Peter Garrett is a classic political sellout. He was recruited and preselected by the ALP on the basis of his popularity - derived largely from his prominent advocacy of issues such as anti-nuclear energy and opposition to US bases in Australia.

He was elected on the basis of that reputation, but since entering parliament he has abandoned the very principles that made him attractive. Hopefully he'll be punished at the next election.

US forces get Garrett's nod...
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 1:47:14 PM
Has Peter Garratt gone into hiding? He didn't even front up to a bunch of irrigation farmers on SBS insight the other night. No views on the Murray, Peter?
Senator Bill Heffernan thinks he "dogged" it.
Posted by rojo, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 3:52:06 PM
Everything people predicted would happen when Garrett first announced his joining the ALP has happened... now we're down to details. When you play by their rules you aren't building an alternative to the greed-first system, just helping to prop it up. While I will do my best to see Howard defeated later this year we need only look at the state Labor governments to see what PM Rudd will be like.

I was at the Cheney demonstration in Sydney last Thursday and thought getting caught up in a police riot preventing us exercising the right to protest in a properly notified street march was bad enough, only to have Kevin Rudd call us "violent ferals", whatever that means. There seem to be so many of us who are clear about what we don't want, yet confidence to find each other and get about building an alternative seems so difficult. What is to be done?
Posted by brucek, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 4:06:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy