The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Your ID? It's on the card > Comments

Your ID? It's on the card : Comments

By Michael Pearce, published 21/2/2007

The Government's 'access card' will be an identity card in all but name.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
This ID card promises to have fewer guarantees of data integrity and security with the current stated policies of the government and ALP, Evan Thorley, to offshore government IT functions. It has been shown that when an organisation signs an outsourcing contract they lose control of the human resources who handle their data.
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 21 February 2007 9:05:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was not surprised yesterday when a neighbour's young daughter was telling me how she was required to provide a host of personal details (tenancy application) and a photocopy of her driver's licence berfore a real estate agent would let her look at a flat for rent. Not to rent the flat, this was the 'price' of a look.

Recently in a current affairs show there was a story about the drivers licences of patrons being scanned into a computer for admission.

Federal government departments permit contractors to walk into their offices with storage devices and in some cases laptop PCs.

I can't believe that the government and the community are really concerned about fraud and identity theft - but they should be.

I agree with the author that bureaucrats and contractors hve demonstrated time and time again that they can play fast and loose with the data they gather.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 21 February 2007 9:08:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This should be seen for what it is, another blow against the personal freedom of all Australians. The government and those who promote them think that we will accept anything if they can create a climate of fear, but I fear a draconian Australian government more than someone with a towel wrapped around their head. It does not matter what arguement is put up if the watchers are untrustworhty. Who should trust the man that made being Australian worthless.
Posted by Whispering Ted, Wednesday, 21 February 2007 10:16:06 AM
Whats really wrong with an ID Card anyway?

Why not be supporting the government and demanding proper protections?

Privacy? There are so many ways for the government to track you. This scheme is designed to save the taxpayer money.

I'm all for it.

gw
Posted by gw, Wednesday, 21 February 2007 11:56:39 AM
I've been wondering what happens if the RFID chip in the card fails. If you present it to claim a Medicare rebate but the computer can't scan it, can you still claim the rebate? Is there a number on the face that can be typed in to make a claim? What happens if someone repeatedly has card failure after card failure? Will they be penalised? After all, it's simple enough to overload and destroy an RFID chip without damaging whatever it's embedded in. And I absolutely refuse to carry around an RFID chip that can be scanned without my knowledge as I am walking around.
Posted by Daves_not_here_man, Wednesday, 21 February 2007 12:24:31 PM
I find it ironic that my children and I spent years trapped inside a regime dreaming and fighting to get back to Australia.

There, my phone was tapped, mail read, police were empowered to to enter one's house at will, detention without trial was endemic, and I.D. cards ensured that every movement was tracked.

By the time we arrived here all we had was contained in the back-packs we carried and the next 7 years have been a hell of poverty and humiliation - but we were free. It made it all worth while. Aussie friends, shocked and horrified at our saga, murmured soothingly "Never mind, you're safe now."

I noticed how easy it was here to slip in regulations allowing surveillance methods "to counteract terrorism". Detention without trial followed with many supporting it and the familiar mantra "If you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear". It's being repeated now with the issue of ID cards which, as the author said, will pass unimpeded into law in this country of law abiding citizens.

No-one seems to realise that the laws we have given up so mutely were, in fact, the laws which ensured that those of us who had indeed done nothing wrong could guarantee we had nothing to fear. Without them to protect us the fact that we have done nothing wrong is not even important under law any more.

I too had done nothing wrong in that other place when I was thrown into a cell. That was what made it so terrifying and hopeless: I had no recourse to a law which protected my innocence.

The whole unwieldy edifice of Law, fought for since Magna Carta, refined through philosophers like Locke, died for by Levellers and idealists, is to Protect the Innocent.

How blindly, smugly and unthinkingly we have, in the past few years, undone a remarkable edifice of civil liberties which took centuries to construct
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 21 February 2007 12:49:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy