The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can America survive? > Comments

Can America survive? : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 12/2/2007

America, a nation once highly respected, is increasingly feared and loathed and is actually perceived as the greatest threat to world peace of all.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
There is not much new in history!

On the retreat from Moscow in the winter of 1812 Napoleon Bonaparte complained that the countries of Europe did not understand that “the Russian Colossus” was the “enemy”. General Caulaincourt tried to set him straight: “As a matter of fact, it is Your Majesty they fear. It is Your Majesty who is the cause of everyone’s anxieties and prevents them seeing other dangers. The governments are afraid there is going to be a World State.” Caulaincourt had already told Napoleon that he “ought not shut his eyes to the fact that it was only too well understood in Europe nowadays that, when he concerned himself with the affairs of a country, it was to serve his own rather than its interests”.

At the annual Munich Conference on Security Policy over the weekend, Russia’s President Putin said that “we are witnessing an almost uncontained hyper use of force in international relations”; and that “one state, the US, has overstepped its national boundaries in every way”. “It is a world of one master, one sovereign”, he said. “This is very dangerous, nobody feels secure anymore because nobody can hide behind international law.”

Putin is clearly telling the US what Caulaincourt was telling Napoleon.
For full story see: http://www.jeffschubert.com/index.php?id=46
Posted by Jeff Schubert, Monday, 12 February 2007 8:57:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am all for America falling apart at the seams soon. This might seem harsh, but I think major internal problems are an eventuality for the US, and whilst I fear for world stability in both social and economic terms when this happens, the longer we have to wait for the fall, the harder the fall will be. Its certainly not the first time a superpower has imploded and I dare say it wont be the last.

I wonder if Iran would even bother with a nuclear program if it didnt fear interference from the heathen West?
Posted by Country Gal, Monday, 12 February 2007 11:07:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It would be awesome if the USA fell apart because then we could ally ourselves with China, and maybe even Cuba and Venezuela would let us hang out with them. That would be so cool!

Who needs those awful Americans with their ridiculous democracy and freedom ? Far better to have a love in with some brutal dictatorships and failed Marxist wastelands.

To paraphrase LBJ : The Americans may be sons of bitches , but they are our sons of bitches!
Posted by westernred, Monday, 12 February 2007 12:46:15 PM
Zbigniew Brzezinski Calls Iraq War a Historic, Strategic and Moral Calamity & Says Stop the Trappings of Colonial Tutelage

SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITEE TESTIMONY -- ZBIGNIEW BRZEZINSKI,
national security adviser to President Carter.

February 1, 2007

http://www.nowpublic.com/zbigniew_brzezinski_calls_iraq_war_a_historic_strategic_and_moral_calamity_says_stop_the_trappings_of_colonial_tutelage
Posted by tassiedevil, Monday, 12 February 2007 1:48:02 PM
So, the US exemplify “a false sense of national identity”.

It is fairy honest conclusion of an author calling himself “an Australian” eventually.

The rest need no comment at all.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 12 February 2007 5:56:43 PM
Yes, a good thought provoking article Peter. I have been thinking the same thing especially since 9/11. The USSR dissolved in a bloodless revolution predictably by bankrupting itself through the heavy investment in the machinery of war to the exclusion of the people's needs.
The USA is on a similar trajectory, they just have a little more money to buy time. A nation that imprisons more of its citizens than any other, that pushes most of its citizens into poverty when there was none before, that disregards fair trade, that steals the wealth of other nations, is on the brink of catastrophe. America really only became outwardly aggressive on the instigation of Winston Churchill, but seems to have become addicted to its muscle power, but it is tireing and about to fall in a heap exhausted. Americans are mostely nice like you and me, but they get excited about money and forget there are more important things, like health, and love, and art, and science, and nature. Sure, they have poor leadership, but that's because they a have relatively little democracy, that some say will inevitably lead to the country's collapse. I think we should be concerned here in cringe country, after all, 400 million Indonesians are looking for a stable real estate to build their nuclear power stations on.
Posted by Barfenzie, Monday, 12 February 2007 11:34:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy