The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A quick ramble around the topics of unemployment, welfare, surf carnivals and liberty > Comments

A quick ramble around the topics of unemployment, welfare, surf carnivals and liberty : Comments

By Gummo Trotsky, published 30/1/2007

An entertaining argument that 'mutual obligation' policies are motivated by envy of the unemployed. Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
People only experience feelings of envy if they are unhappy with their own situation. If you gain satisfaction from your employment, then you will feel pity, not envy of the unemployed. If you are in fact experiencing envy of the unemployed, then I suggested you quit your job, it is killing you, join the dole and look for a job that you can enjoy. Oh and good luck with that (here in good ol' ozzie land where people can substitute for machines - at half the price!)
Posted by vivy, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 10:04:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Am I the only one who has some difficulty in understanding the point of view of the author. True, I have only scanned it once on the screen, and I gather it has something to do with the limits to freedom caused by the idea of mutual obligation. I am quite capable of careful analysis of dense text, but I feel that I am being teased by someone who has subtle allusions, literary citations, and a satirical style. To communicate with me, albeit perhaps a minority, please say what you mean in a direct way. Should we be happy for dole bludgers? Should we rejoice that someone can pursue their creative, literary, surf loving (unpaid) vocation because we have enough and more to support them? Or is there a mutual obligation?
Posted by Fencepost, Tuesday, 30 January 2007 6:49:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy