The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bindi Irwin exploited? > Comments

Bindi Irwin exploited? : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 22/1/2007

The experiences we have as young children shape who we become as adults and these experiences are shaping Bindi Irwin right now.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I actually find the whole Bindi media experience a little disturbing.

Eight years old and her whole life has been mapped out for her already?

I think she deserves to have a regular childhood first, away from the media circus that has promoted her as some sort of performing seal for our amusement.

Like everybody else I wish her well, but she needs a bit of personal space to grow into the person she really wants to be.
Posted by rache, Monday, 22 January 2007 1:19:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well we don't really have to care about her, just send her our love and upohold our desire for her to fulfill our expectations.

Bugger the dangers of putting too many expectations on her. We don't need to be there when Bindi fails! (But We'll find this failure just as facinating too!)

As one child psychologists recently said about Bindi " It's a rare child that would actually live up to those expectations and thrive in them."

But for many here its simply a case of 'The show must go on"
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 22 January 2007 1:20:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
She's an exceptional kid, raised by exceptional parents. Who knows what she's capable of? I only hope she doesn't get the same derision heaped on Nicki Webster.
Posted by bennie, Monday, 22 January 2007 1:36:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with you Realist! if you watch her closely she is her father all over . So enthusiastic for what she believes in ,i do admire this little girl, She is greiving in her own way ,probably her fathers image has kept her intact.
Remember she adored her dad as he did her.She is her fathers daughter ,no problems.
Terri will keep her grounded as much as she can I am sure.
Bindi loves the lime light ,same as her dad did.
Getting recognised for all the wildlife knowledge they both have.
Leave her be,I believe she is just being herself.
Posted by patricia22au, Monday, 22 January 2007 2:52:37 PM
As the excerpts of the Irwin Memorial Service Show appeared on the evening news back in September, a friend of mine observed "There goes a fourteen year-old crack addict.

I sincerely hope he is wrong, but so far nothing indicates that Bindi Irwin's mental health and welfare is being considered, and everything indicates that she is being exploited.

Once the initial hype has receded a little, it would be nice to think that the family might settle back into a less frenetic, show-biz rhythm for a while, just to take stock and work out a safer growth path for Bindi.

However, with the best will in the world I cannot see it happening. There are too many people's livelihoods dependent on the fact that Bindi remains a celebrity, and constantly in the public eye. In too many cases the pursuit of money overrides every other consideration, including the welfare of fellow human beings.

I hope sanity eventually prevails, but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 22 January 2007 3:27:43 PM
Please stop it. A man died poking a Stingray, when he should have known better. Why is this little girl so newsworthy. It really is a sad indictment of our times. Celebrity is such a fickle thing,with the media constantly telling us who we should or shouldnt admire. I for one, find the whole circus very bizzare and quite disturbing. How many children died in thier beds when the coalition of the killing decided to bomb the hell out of Baghdad? Where was the coverage and outpouring of grief for the parents without children, or the children who lost parents. They were not dicing with death playing with things best left alone, they were sleeping in there beds. A little perspective PLEASE.
Posted by hedgehog, Monday, 22 January 2007 4:25:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy