The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bindi Irwin exploited? > Comments

Bindi Irwin exploited? : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 22/1/2007

The experiences we have as young children shape who we become as adults and these experiences are shaping Bindi Irwin right now.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
It appears (by write-ups & media reports) that many think Bindi is under enormous pressure and is at risk of losing her child hood. While I agree to a point that it all has been a very short time since the passing of Steve and media interviews of the Irwins are still bombarding us, I wonder who really is to blame here.

I ask who is not giving the Irwins time to grieve, to me it seems to be the media, always wanting, demanding interviews about how the family feels after the loss of a husband, wonderful father and an Australian Icon for Wildlife. I must remind you all that Terri has been made Australian Ambassador for Australia and by all reports it was America that made that choice (Why is America allowed to pick OUR Ambassador, that's another story in itself).

While Bindi may be only eight years old she certainly is intelligent, well educated, confident and full of enthusiasm, which leads me to believe that Bindi could well have a very high IQ. Thinking of this, it is quite normal for high IQ children to be thought of as "Being pressured" to perform, just as many of these children are left wanting by School and Educational Services, which are not geared to handle High IQ children.

I believe Bindi falls into this category. She loves her family, her Father, loves Wildlife, is always full of joy and enthusiasm, has been involved with shows in Australia Zoo, Foxtel and other networks. This is something she enjoys and has a very big heart for. One trembles to think of what would happen to her as a person should this be legally curtailed by mischievous people who think they know what's right for the world. That would be totally irresponsible. The Media and Television Networks should shoulder some responsibility for over exposing the Irwins.

Johnny_au
Posted by Johnny_au, Monday, 22 January 2007 10:10:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree. I have asked myself the same question: is this little girl now being exploited? I have known two 8 year olds who lost their father, and I clearly remember how they did not come to terms with their fathers death for many years, despite support. Bindi is only 8 and still a very little girl, with little-girl emotions, unable to take on the adult world created by Dad yet.
I am sure her mother is doing the best she can, but I am also sure she is being pulled in many directions, and finding it difficult to make best-decisions. The entire family I believe, should be allowed time to grieve, and find its feet in a different world from the one they had before, ie. a world now without Steve. It will take much more time than any have been allowed. There are others who can take over the reins for a time.
arcticdog.
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 22 January 2007 10:19:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
She was born into this, its in her genes,

i dont know about you all, but i think she has looked absolutely in her element when she goes public.

Forst it was the olsen twins, now Bindi Irwin. Her personality has won the hearts and minds of many, and being so comfortable in the public eye due to lifetime of it and having a home at a public zoo menas there will be few who could do what she can.

She is not being exploited, it is terrible to say that, she is just a rare bredd of gifted girl who is an Aussie version of Royalty that happens to be very popular around the world.

Good on her.
Posted by Realist, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:34:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its our very own Trueman Show, how much more reality tv can you get than this!

She's wonderful, the nicky webster of wildlife, I love her, she's so cute and brave and knows how to speak right into the camera.

I'll watch her on TV, read Woman's day and New Idea and follow her adventures for years to come.

Its not exploitation at all, she doesn't feel exploited, I don't feel exploited so what's the problem!

Sssh! (I mean how would an 8 year old know she is being exposed to a lie and never know it to be a lie? I won't tell her if you won't)
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:40:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, children can easily find themselves exploited by over zealous parents. This is commonly seen in American children beauty contests however, people are being gungho in pointing the flame thrower in the direction of Bindi Erwin's family.

Yes, she has grown up in the environment. She has grown up in an environment where life is on the go, it is exciting and needs to be fulfilled by actually doing something other than watching tv. We do not see the private world of Bindi. We do not get to see if she plays with dolls or cars or whatever else that is common of young children.

Bindi is a go getter and one can see by looking at her that she is mature for her age with abilities that only come with gifted children. Now do we allow children to develop and grow at the pace right for them? Or do we stifle them to please our own insecurities?

I believe that Bindi is capable and enjoys what she does.
Posted by Spider, Monday, 22 January 2007 12:38:43 PM
I have some concerns about Bindi's future. Only time will tell how the death of her father and the subsequent catapulting into the media at a more intense level than before the loss of her father will effect her. It would appear that she and her dad had an extrodinary relationship which is somewhat reflected in Bindi's very extroverted behaviour now that she is more active in the role of wild life warrior. While her mother seems to be engaged in her grief, and publicly, Bindi is very busy making a huge attempt at maintaining wild live activities as a minature Steve in female form. At eight, this is probably working for her, but what about the future? Will she come down to earth with a bang and realise the intensity of what has and is happening or will she be consoled by the fact that she stepped up to the plate at a very early age and carried on to do the work that her father began?
I wish her luck and send her lots of love.
Posted by snooty_56, Monday, 22 January 2007 12:47:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy