The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > More sceptics this time on the trail of the never-ending campaign > Comments

More sceptics this time on the trail of the never-ending campaign : Comments

By Wayne Errington and Peter Van Onselen, published 17/1/2007

Howard may come to regret missing the opportunity to retire last year - the advantages of incumbency don't last forever.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Australia needs a leader who doesn't just do what he's told by the Yanks.
Posted by Ev, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 9:39:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia needs something that is there for the people and not just a claytons action or spin.

what can i say,

all here are either spindoctors or are either not bothered and hoping that labor will do what they say.

The only time these do something right is election time to get the people on side, but people dont care.

Australian Peoples Party

email:swulrich@bigpond.net.au
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 9:52:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Howard may come to regret missing the opportunity to retire last year'
On the other hand Mr Howard might become Australia's longest and finest Prime Minister ever. Now won't that get up some peoples noses (especially on this forum). Prediting the winner at this stage is about as difficult as picking next weeks weather.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 10:20:24 AM
I think John Howard is more astute than our posters give him credit for.

I think he has done a great job on holding the spirit of this nation alive in a way that few other politicians could have done, certainly none from the opposition benches, as their past attempts at challenge have shown.

Oh I know we have a few vocal malcontents around here who would decry John Howards stewardship of our country. He has created opportunity where the opposition would have stagnated.

Not a word of “the recession we had to have”.

He has implemented GST, a decision which has seen significant revenue benefit to the commonwealth but which fairly shared the burden of tax across the community.

He has seen the reform of the wharfs, no longer the victims of tyranny.

He has overseen the reform of employment laws, simplifying employment terms and protecting individuals from the insidious manipulation of unions, regardless of being asked or not, in their employment contracts.

He has pursued a policy closer to “equality in parenting” for those afflicted by family breakdown.

He has advanced our economic and business opportunities and continued to tear down the fake protectionism practices of past generations.

HE has worked to make educational institutions accountable instead of relying on public funds regardless of their merit.

Yep, JWH is a great leader, not perfect. I would sincerely like to see the volumes of tax legislation reduced to something manageable and practical. I would like to see government both federal and state withdraw form attempting to manage our lives.

Oh tapp, read your post, had a little laugh, lets face it, not worth a big laugh.

Screaming Lord Sutch formed the Official Monster Raving Loony Party in 1983 in UK. he used to stand every general election until he suicided in 1999. Somehow I think the TAPP will have similar success as Sutch but without the glamour.

Nonetheless, we live in a democracy and your “democratic right” entitles you to stand. Better that you stand than we were to live in a dictatorship, where you could not.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 10:55:40 AM
In Politics 101 in democratic countries - universal suffrage, regular elections etc, it is often said that regular change of government is desirable to prevent entrenched interests dominating. Australia appears reluctant to change.

Despite many claquers among the commentariat in the media, there is not a great deal of difference between the two major parties on most important issues, especially globalisation. Both sides enjoin our industries to lie back and just take it - the monstrous closure of the Blundstone's being the latest casualty. (Take it as read that I'm against globalisation on many grounds, especially the increasing immiseration of sectors of the population. I also deplore a government that can set up "flying squads" to go around the country pouncing on people who reportedly defraud Social Security. (Note that I find the terms "dole" and "welfare" to be particularly repugnant, edging us towards American nomenclature in action as well as word). I would have more respect for the likes of Joe Hockey if those at the big end of town were given the same treatment.

Later this year it remains to be seen whether the electorate has had enough of Mr. Howard and his mixed marching band. In the dying days of the Keating government, there was a distinct whiff of death in the air but my delicately-tuned nose has failed to find such a scent at present -- mind you, hay fever and allergies can produce strange effects. It is reasonable to suggest that Kevin Rudd has a chance of being really competitive and possibly a winner. What an ALP administration would be like in office remains to be seen.

The brutal fact remains that incumbency confers an enormous advantage. The recent hike in allowances for politicians means more money thrown around in the campaign. The amount spent by the Howard Government on propaganda, described as information, has reached obscene proportions. Unfortunately, we can only expect more of the same. As for the media, it's destructive role was clearly demonstrated by the campaign in The Australian to bring down Kim Beazley and attack Rudd as an L-plate leader.
Posted by perikles, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 12:18:20 PM
It is obvious that Col Rouge doesn’t even see the dictatorship of Australian politics as real.

It is obvious that Col is blind to the fact of the following.

Leigh saying that Policy is dictated.

Branch stacking

The new definitions by Col

Democracy in Politics.

This is defined by political parties dictating policy to the people.
This is also defined by parties picking up branch ballot sheets to be filled in not by the member but by the branch committee.

Dictatorship.
This is defined by the people to have choice and make the vote for themselves for who they wish and not somebody else.

The question Col Rouge is branch stacking which is widely used within Labor and Liberal parties is this democratic.

Now answer the question

It is also noticed that the people are more prefered to winge than stand and fight for change. With this come the fact that it is all our fault for what we get and if you dont do anything real then you have done nothing.
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 12:22:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy