The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Shabby trial a loss for Saddam Hussein's victims > Comments

Shabby trial a loss for Saddam Hussein's victims : Comments

By Neil Clark, published 8/1/2007

Those accused of war crimes should face an international court that is blind to nationality and impervious to political pressure.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yes, it was a shabby trial, not that Saddam did not deserve to die or be shut away, but the very fact that he died with the utmost dignity, or like a martyr, if the camera shots give true indication.

Unfortunately, it could give the impression of the very ancient - means to the end doctrine - of the Old Testament.

As one of the Tribe of Abraham, and as a Muslim, Saddam's sadism could be justified, as aspects of sadism are always involved in a total slaughter of an enemy or unbeliever, as was given the go-ahead by a God not only in the original Promised Land of the Old Testament, but as all similar slaughter has been done since in the name of religion, which sadly includes Western Christian colonialism.

Maybe the Sermon on the Mount is the one prayer meant for us to help solve the above rotten riddle?
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 8 January 2007 12:57:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
He should have been shot in that spider hole he was hiding in and buried on the spot. No prayers, no grave, no marker. No recognition. And no glory. "But, but, he deserved a fair trial". No, I say. He should have maybe been dragged out upon the street and given to the women for punishment. Now that would have been justice. :-)
In the end, Saddam, his brother in law, and his chief justice got the measure of justice they had handed down to the Iraqi people. How can one be more just than that?
Posted by aqvarivs, Monday, 8 January 2007 2:59:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I shudder to think what may have happened had Mr Hussein been found not guilty. We would have been treated to articles about a 'mass murderer and dictator' escaping punishment.
Posted by Sage, Monday, 8 January 2007 3:55:41 PM
As an Australian, I think people such as Hicks, Hussein and his cohorts should be tried in a fashion that suits the times and that has an Australian flavour.

How about trying them before a kangaroo court, with Judge Lynch presiding?
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 8 January 2007 4:28:03 PM
Bushbred

Particularly on high profile issues like Hussein I think the US only feigned a hands-off approach. This included his execution.

I get the feeling that the US permitted the Iraqis to execute Saddam Hussein in such a tauntingly primitive way to convince the world that the US/Coalition should remain in Iraq to, in effect, manage that country's affairs permanently. The picture painted is that only the forced and final implementation of western democracy and judicial ideals will lift Iraq from mayhem. You can't extract Iraq's oil if there is mayhem.

The trial had extensive Coalition input (behind the scenes) but the Iraqis were left to themselves for the hanging. It appears the judges and prosecution received extensive assistance from Coalition advisers particularly in gathering evidence. From his capture in December 2003 Hussein was held by US forces primarily at Camp Cropper, Baghdad. Iraq and the US may insist that he was under Iraqi control, but, the nationality of his close-in guards would tell the story.

It may be that the day of the execution was the first and only day Hussein was passed into full Iraqi custody.

Coalition criticism (Blair, Democrats, Republicans/Bush in the US) of the manner of Hussein's execution comes too easily.

By having full control of Hussein the Iraqis were given enough rope to hang/damage any impression of Iraqi independence that would be acceptable to the Coalition.

On a similar tack the more the US makes sounds about considering withdrawal the more its actions point at a desire for permanent residence. There are strong rumours Bush will announce an extra 20,000 men for Iraq within the next 2 weeks. Withdrawal by sending more troops to Iraq is a hard concept to sell.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 8 January 2007 4:28:46 PM
Is there anyone who seriously believes that Saddam was innocent of his alleged crimes? Personally I'm satisfied that he was guilty. And I agree that he was correctly sentanced to death. That is an appropriate punishment because it offers, hopefully, some relief to the families and communities throughout the world who have been so sadly affected by Saddam and his brutal regime.
I do have an issue with hanging. It think it is enough to simply put the Saddams quietly down, perhaps by injection, maybe a more subtle method involving a hidden sleeping potion causing a slumber, during which the criminal is overcome by whatever toxin needed to end the life. Hanging has no merit (nor does electocution or gas), it is brutal, and reflects poorly upon the administraters of the punishment. Finally, whilst those that bleat about the poor show of justice annoy the crud out of me, I still appreciate their endeavors to maintain a high standard of justice in the world. But they ought to target their protests more thoughtfully. Pick on a case where there might be some reasonable doubt, and champion that.
Posted by Hendo, Monday, 8 January 2007 6:55:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy