The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Christmas takes us beyond 'family first' > Comments

Christmas takes us beyond 'family first' : Comments

By Andrew Hamilton, published 18/12/2006

The stories of Christmas take us out of our private world of family and friends.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This is one of the most odd postings I have read in a very long while.

I won't pretend to be a theologian of any description, and so I'll concede that (so far as I know or care) every biblical reference and intepretation in this piece could be spot on. But even admitting all of that, the article remains one of the best arguments for secularising Christmas that I have read in a long time.

Whether Christians like it or not, Christmas has now become a parallel holiday - on the one hand, Christians celebrate the birth of their Messiah. On the other hand, Christians and non-Christians alike aspire to generosity (of spirit and of material things) and family togetherness which is not usually possible in our fast-paced, personally isolating world. In this secular Christmas, family does indeed loom large.

The idea that somehow family gets in the way of true service to the Christian god has me scratching my head in bewilderment. If that's what it means to be a Christian then thank goodness I am no such thing.

Anthony
Posted by AnthonyMarinac, Monday, 18 December 2006 8:42:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought this was odd myself.
Posted by Spider, Monday, 25 December 2006 7:14:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy