The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Innovation drives growth > Comments

Innovation drives growth : Comments

By Tom Bentley, published 13/12/2006

Mohamed Yunus's Nobel prize winning scheme typifies the innovation needed to meet the challenges of economic, social and environmental sustainability.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Rainier, what innovative idea do you think that you might make to improve the lives of your fellow humans?
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 13 December 2006 10:04:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For a very different view of Mr Yunus check out the following fascinating articles

A Nobel loan shark?
By Patrick Bond
http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2006-10/19bond.cfm
(Patrick Bond's new book, Looting Africa: The Economics of Exploitation, is available from Zed Books.)

and

A Nobel Peace Prize for Neoliberalism? The Myth of Microloans
By ALEXANDER COCKBURN
http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn10202006.html
Weekend Edition October 20 / 22, 2006
Posted by Sowat, Friday, 15 December 2006 6:04:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think Mr Bently needs to revisit the subject. What the poor need is not credit, it is jobs. Jobs which are sustainable are not provided by giving micro-credit to the poor, paradoxically, they are more likely to be obtained by giving macro credit to the well off, who are more likely to have access to other resources as well as the expertise to utilise the credit effectively.

Sowat, in this case, I think you are right on the money. If I might put it differently "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts".
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 15 December 2006 11:56:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy