The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The more things change ... > Comments

The more things change ... : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 13/12/2006

Racism and sexism are still out there and deserve the probing glare of the nation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
In my town there was a woman this year who was charged with 2 counts of attempted murder when she point poison into her ex-husbands coffee on 2 occasions On both occasions he was hospitalised, but after the second hospitalisation the situation was investigated and the woman charged. But such cases do not make the national news.

Very few men are sexist or criminals, but a recent survey shows the majority of the media misrepresent the male gender:-

"Men were predominantly reported or portrayed in mass media as villains, aggressors, perverts and philanderers, with more than 75 per cent of all mass media representations of men and male identity showing men in on one of these four ways,"

http://www.cnet.ngo.net.au/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=20729

This is where most of the sexism has been occurring. It has been occurring in the mass media, and it has been occurring for many years.

That survey highlights complete failure of the Sex Discrimination Commission, and also complete failure of other organisations such as the Australian Press Council and the Australian Broadcasting Authority.
Posted by HRS, Wednesday, 13 December 2006 9:12:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we need to get this into perspective. Women have fewer work choices, lower wages and less social muscle in most public spheres. Men are under enormous pressures to provide for their families. Violence in the home is a reflection of violence in society. The notion that women "ask for trouble" and have "sexual powers" that hold men to ransom, is prevalent within most cultural groups. Turning the spot light on one cultural community over another is a racist attack! Lets have a good look around building sites, trade industries and the practices of white working class men, before we start judging cultural diverse socio-economic communities that are already marginalised, through no fault of their own
Posted by vivy, Wednesday, 13 December 2006 10:12:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
vivy

Was it you who said on 7 Nov 2006 ('Mr Lust' thread):
"At the risk of sounding conceited, I am an extremely good looking women (in that I am of european heritage and have a shape that is uncommon to these parts of the world i.e unlike most australian born women I know, I actually have breasts!). ...."

Australia is a multicultural nation but somehow I think you were referring exclusively to white women.

Now you insult white men workers.

Have you considered you might be prejudiced against white people, full stop?
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 14 December 2006 11:43:39 AM
Cornflower,
Perhaps I am prejudice against people in positions of power who like to pass judgment on people whose life chances are lower, for making choices and behaving in a manner that anyone who have had certain experiences of frustrations and disappointments, would make.
Posted by vivy, Thursday, 14 December 2006 1:17:42 PM
Returning to the article, my assessment is that the '-isms' in drastic need of attention are ageism and individualism - especially the latter, because there is no sense of community anymore and personal interest reigns supreme.
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 15 December 2006 1:31:59 PM
Police media release for Oct & Nov. Rape all male. Serious cross gender violence women are much more highly represened than men.
* Indicates female on male. However,men are overwhelmingly more violent than women otherwise. (other police work removed)

-Morning round-up September 6
Rape charges - Rockhampton; ...

-Morning round-up September 6, Second edition
Serious assault arrest – Inala *

-1998 assault now a murder investigation
The death of Karen Redmile

-DNA solves 2004 Gold Coast sexual assault.
DNA has helped police solve a two year old sexual assault on the Gold Coast resulting in the arrest of a 23-year-old man overnight

-Afternoon round-up, September 6
Reported attempted abduction - Riverview;…

-Sexual assault, Kelvin Grove
A woman was sexually assaulted by a man at

-Comfit sexual assault, Kelvin Grove

-Morning round-up September 9

- Sexual assault - Highgate Hill;

-Goondiwindi murder charge
A 46-year-old woman has been charged with murder following the alleged stabbing death of her 45-year-old de-facto at Goondiwindi last night *

-Morning round-up September 11

Rape - Cairns.

-Gold Coast arrests
Stalking arrest - Main Beach;….

-Paddington assaults comfits released
Police investigating sexual assaults in the Paddington area have released two comfits of a man who may be able to assist with their enquiries.

-Police target prostitution offences – Gold Coast
Police operation targets Prostitution on the Gold Coast * ? (19 arrests)

-Evening round-up September 16
Assault charges - Gympie; Charges following stabbing – Maryborough *

-Withdrawal of sexual assault complaint
A complaint of sexual assault made to police regarding an incident at a Brisbane hotel on September 10 has been withdrawn ?

-Charges following death of three-year-old girl, Nerang

A 35-year-old woman has been charged following the death of a three-year-old girl at Nerang today.*

-Afternoon round-up September 21
Indecent treatment arrest - Sunshine Coast.

-Morning round-up September 23
Assault charges - Townsville.

-Evening round-up September 23
Assault – Gympie.

-Appeal for Wickham Park rapist
Police believe someone in the community may know a rapist who assaulted a woman in Wickham Park overnight on September 22
Posted by ronnie peters, Friday, 15 December 2006 6:14:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy