The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Saving daylight > Comments

Saving daylight : Comments

By Peter Stopher, published 22/11/2006

Sorting out the daylight saving and time zone schmozzle in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but...."Bugger daylight savings!" I just wish the Government could sort out any time zone differences as the author suggests, then leave the clocks alone for good. It takes me months after DLS to get used to sleeping before the house has had time to cool down during summer, then just when I do, we have to put our clocks back an hour. Anyway, it's my belief that Victoria was this year brought into line with Tasmania, although I could be wrong. Maybe the idea was simply more hot air from our politicians.
Posted by Wildcat, Wednesday, 22 November 2006 10:21:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author is a bit slow in advocating that the Federal government should have the power to legislate on time zones, as it has had the power since 1901 in section 51(xv) of the Constitution, where it is given power over "Weights and Measures". Even someone such as myself, who is ferociously opposed to any increase in Federal power, and wants different laws to apply in different states (with fugitives from the law racing for the Queensland border and immunity from extradition), would agree that that clause covers time zones. The fact is that federal politicians have not been game to legislate in the area.

Advocates of daylight saving should understand that those opposed to it do so mainly for two reasons:

1. We are in the wrong latitude. Have a look at the northern hemisphere and see how many states at 33 degrees north have it. it is someting suited to latitude 45 degrees, and so Tasmania is quite suited, and the further north you go the less it is suited.

2. People are very much opposed to CHANGING time. If daylight saving is so good, for heavens sake lets have it all year. We can then get used to the time zone, WITHOUT having to change all out clocks and adjust our body rhythms.

The electors in Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia have spoken several times in referendums on their dislike of daylight saving. The current government in WA has acceeded to the desires of the business community and is to override the wishes of the people and impose daylight saving. The future will tell if this was a wise decision.

Suggestions that daylight saving saves electricity sould a bit hollow when you think that workers will go home in the heat of a summers day and turn on their home air conditioners, which in aggregate would consume far more power than those in the offices they have vacated.

Fortunately I am now retired, and can ignore most of the effects of the change, particularly as I now watch so little television. Others are not so lucky.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 22 November 2006 12:06:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must say I agree almost completely with the original article, particularly with the notion of a permanent shift in time zones to give longer afternoons all year long, as well as DST. Here in Brisbane the sun is directly overhead at about 11:35am, and as a consequence we suffer about twenty-five minutes of daylight wasting all year long!

However as was mentioned in a previous comment the argument for DST gets quite thin much north of here where there is progressively less variation in the length of the day. In fact above the Tropic of Capricorn the length of the day actually has two maxima (when the sun crosses from the northern sky into the southern sky and back) and two minima (corresponding to the solstices further south. It is very difficult to mount an argument that, say, Cairns should have DST. That is not to say that it should not be permanently shifted to give longer afternoons.

I am a bit nonplussed at the comments about disruptions to body clocks caused by the start and end of DST. As a seasoned international traveller I have found that it takes a time shift of several hours to produce any noticible jet-lag.

Let us have daylight saving, let us have it in Brisbane, and let us have it now!
Posted by Reynard, Wednesday, 22 November 2006 2:55:48 PM
Thank you for knowing that SA is meant to be 1 hour from the east and from the west - nobody here seems to know that. If we were using that time zone, as we should be, I would be very happy to extend daylight saving for the extra month/s.
Posted by anniem, Wednesday, 22 November 2006 5:52:32 PM
I lived in Edinburgh where I could see the benefits of daylight saving time. Although it's quite weird to see twilight after 9pm.

I also went to uni in NSW, returning to the NT over summer, making the changeover around the beginning/ end of DST and I find it did throw me off for a few days each time.

I can see the merits of shifting time zones and I would encourage all our governments to look at that option. But I don't see why a country in this part of the world should have daylight saving time at all, it really makes no sense to me. Although maybe Tasmanians may want to make a decision for themselves, given their latitude.

And I'll endorse the earlier comment re airconditioner use. As electricity generation and atmospheric emissions are increasingly important, surely this is not something to be encouraged.
Posted by Nomad, Thursday, 23 November 2006 10:54:20 AM
It is blatantly dishonest to even use the term "daylight saving". There is no saved daylight so why use the term. The promoters have never hesitated to use the old "fade the curtains" chestnut to vilify those who dont support their view. But their own favoured terminology conveys that very same falsehood.

In the interest of accuracy I would like to introduce the term;

"Time molestation", n. subjecting time, and it's users to intentional annoyance through the compulsory manipulation of clocks. Usually associated with false claims of saved daylight and deliberate vilification of those who either see through the deception or do not appreciate the compulsion.

"Time molesters", n. tedious people who insist on forcing their own time choices on others out of some sort of pathological need to conform or to synchonise their bowel movements. See Freud, S. Anal personality types.
Posted by Perseus, Thursday, 23 November 2006 1:35:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy