The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let Muslim women speak for themselves > Comments

Let Muslim women speak for themselves : Comments

By Rayann Bekdache, published 30/10/2006

Australian women in hijab: a place where politics, prejudice and human curiosity converge.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
Nice sentiment Wildcat and well argued.

But I ask, isn't that what "diversity" is supposed to be all about? Not the bringing of all of us to one homogenous middle, but being tolerant of all, particularly of those, who are on the diametrically opposite fringe?

On topic - "Let Muslim women speak for themselves", argues Rayann Bekdache, and you won't get any arguments from me about that. But it is both illuminating and revealing that some posters above, peculiarly women who declare themselves feminists, certainly don't want Muslim women speaking up for themselves. Oh no! Not if this is their message. They'd rather have them shut up or drowned out with noise, unless of course, Muslim women speak the same feminist-sexist left-wing rhetorical rubbish that they do.

But some women don't need empowerment, they're just naturally powerful - and beautiful - like Rayann here.

Oops! Probably shouldn't have said that.

Rayann - you go girl! And please, make a lot more noise.
Posted by Maximus, Monday, 30 October 2006 12:34:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
kactuz, I think you will find that the majority of Muslims have the same relationship with the Koran as Christians do with the bible. Very few Christians take the bible literally, I think Rev. Lovejoy said it best when he argued that technically, Christians aren't even allowed to go to the bathroom. Sorry for the Simpsons reference, but it has about the same amount of relevance as kactuz's. No Muslim I know beats their wife and uses the Koran as justification. Just as no Christian I know actually believes the Earth was created in a week.

In terms of fundamentalist crazies, all sides have a significant number, unfortunately, most fundamentalist Christians are seen as harmless, while fundamentalist Muslims are seen as the death of western civilisation. Neither is the case. Both should be reduced to insignificance through rational debate, and the marketplace of ideas. Any rational person should see that a global caliphate is impossible, and those aiming to produce it do so to increase their own personal power, not their personal faith. Terrorism is a blip on the radar of global threats. Perhaps we should have a war on drink driving, it causes far more deaths, and is probably more easily preventable.

However, every person should have the right to criticise any religion on rational grounds, even if they are not a member of the club. This is necessary to increase understanding and to encourage reform. Islam is not the same as it was 1000 years ago, nor will it be the same in 200 years time.
Posted by Alex, Monday, 30 October 2006 1:20:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"But it is both illuminating and revealing that some posters above, peculiarly women who declare themselves feminists, certainly don't want Muslim women speaking up for themselves. Oh no! Not if this is their message. They'd rather have them shut up or drowned out with noise, unless of course, Muslim women speak the same feminist-sexist left-wing rhetorical rubbish that they do."

Care to point out where that happened on this comment thread Maximus? Or is it a habit of yours to create fictitious exchanges to provoke a response?
Posted by Albs, Monday, 30 October 2006 1:28:25 PM
A definite call for sympathy and an arrogant and defiant political statement disguised as usual in religious ideologies – similar to the latest stunt from the top Imam Hellali…

Anything to get free publicity and keep the dialogue open to try to impress “us” about their beautiful and peaceful religion.

If it is true that the Hijab is not a sign of women oppression or an act of Islamic defiance; why don't the silly women of Islam insist on wearing it in our free society?

The answer is they don't have a choice.

Their semi-god prophet, their imams and muftis, their fathers, grand-fathers, brothers, cousins, uncles and husbands have decided the women’s fate from the time they are born.

No amount of self-pity is going to change the truth about the written laws and Islamic misogynistic customs of the Qur'an that unfortunately (for Muslems) we all have access to and can read, judge and decide for ourselves.

The West knows how oppressed Muslem women really are – even if they don’t know it themselves or so unskilfully deny it.

The Qur'an defines a woman as half the value of a man.

A woman needs 4 (four) "male" eye witnesses to have their day in court against an unfaithful husband - while he only needs to repeat the words "you are divorced" 3 times - and she is a goner.

Some freedom and equality hey?
Posted by coach, Monday, 30 October 2006 1:48:51 PM
'When non-Muslim Australians approach Australian Muslim women who wear the headscarf on trains, in the streets, at university and in various other public spaces, this is a positive step towards breaking down misconceptions on all sides of the spectrum. It is also a means by which Muslim women articulate their views and bring new light to the complexities of Islam and Muslims in the Australian context'

That statement is just so positive, so true and so Australian. I know I've done it too and was also enlightened, positively and my misconceptions evaporated, by responses from also not so articulate and some heavily accented Australian Muslim women.

To coin and re-word an old quote 'Wear what you want and be dammed'.

I don't care what anyone wears it's their business not mine.
Posted by keith, Monday, 30 October 2006 1:58:12 PM
Good on you Rayann,

I think its good to encourage muslim women to speak for themselves more.
I have seen cases where hijab is the woman's choice and other where it was the parent or husband choice. We should debate both.

Regardless, what people chose to wear is a personal choice. A woman wearing a veil is no different from a Orthodox Jewish female or a nun. If they will be judged as 'defiant', then they have as much right to critique other women as defiant (I have seen elder women wearing 'age defying' make-up).

The world will be in chaos if we start judging each other on what we wear. Its what we do for the society and each other is what should matter.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Monday, 30 October 2006 2:57:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13