The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Microcredit and extremism > Comments

Microcredit and extremism : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 10/11/2006

One of the unexpected outcomes of the boom in microcredit is its effect in standing up to Islamic extremism.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Isn't Bangladesh the country with the highest concentration of arsenic in its water well? Is this what this "pawnbroker" finance scheme is providing. Kill'em off before they become extremists.
Posted by Vioetbou, Friday, 10 November 2006 11:37:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tanveer,

You usually have a point but you lost me on this one.
Extremism have a lot to do with education, opression and ability (or lack of) to modernise.

people don't turn to extermism then into murderers/ terrorists because they are poor. Many extremists and terrorists (take AlQaeda and Sep 11 for example) were in fact wealthy saudis/ egyptians and well educated with some up to PHD level.

Can you clarify your point?
Posted by Fellow_Human, Friday, 10 November 2006 4:19:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tanveer,
I agree with you. Poverty is oppression and the poor in countries kept poor by others that exploit them are ripe solidiers for wealthy extremists with political agendas. The rich Western countries are worried about the Middle East right now, but the terrorists of tomorrow may well come streaming from The Congo, Somalia and, as you rightly point out, Bangladesh. Seriously, when the World Bank and IMF set policy that shafts poor farmers in Africa, yet the US and Australia hand out billions to support and otherwise subsidise their own, is it so hard to understand why they may turn to violence to make themselves heard?
Terrorism is guerrila warfare on a global scale. We won't be able to stop it with violence - as the "war on terror" illustrates.
What we can do is address another form of extremism. The juxtaposition of extreme wealth with extreme poverty. Once we find a more just balance in the lived experience of people, then we may find more balance in their views.
Posted by Linda Graham, Saturday, 11 November 2006 6:39:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is not the first example of such a scheme, whereby a population is given a interest free loan to create wealth for their families and communities.

In the last thirty to forty years the costs of corporate profit has use to its advantage, resources and the environment.

It is now up to its "Inhabitants".(Workchoice).

A wealthy, older person, with such initiatives needs to know that that it is far too late, after forty or fifty years of climbing the greasy poll, to suddenly realise to give back to the community.

But it does outline a significant point, that wealth needs to be shared.

It also outlines the significant need, to maintain a constant vigilance by western communities, to maintain the ethics of an even distribution of power within our own democracy.
Posted by Suebdootwo, Saturday, 11 November 2006 12:10:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interestingly I was just reading another article on micro-credit and the Bangladesh situation.

Here it is

http://www.mises.org/story/2375
Posted by geoff_, Monday, 13 November 2006 11:35:10 PM
I wonder if this article depicts or suggests anything new from the rhetoric being advocated by the neo-cons and their weapons- the brettonwoods. Having worked in a MF bank myself, I have witnessed how lies, lies and more lies lead us to a world of illusions.
Posted by Faisal, Wednesday, 15 November 2006 7:41:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy