The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Queensland police 'move-on' powers are over the top > Comments

Queensland police 'move-on' powers are over the top : Comments

By Nick Christie, published 1/11/2006

Your right to free use of public spaces is not as clear and unmitigated as it once was.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
People who see something sinister in loitering laws in Australia have a big problem.

The recent "poor me" story on one of the bleeding heart so-called current affairs TV programmes clearly showed that the stroppy 65 year old pensioner and dosser arrested was asked by police officers to move on "Sir". He chose to argue with them, in a loud aggressive voice, and was arrested, struggling. The humbug about 4 officers needing to do the job is easily explained by the fact that that the arrested person is less likely to suffer injury with an officer to each limb, even then.

Anyone who is stupid and arrogant enough to ignore a simple, lawful, request from a police officer in the most democratic, easy going country in the world, deserves to take the consequences of their stupidity - and the consequences will be very light, even then.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 9:26:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abuse of police powers? In Queensland? Surely not.
Posted by Sancho, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 9:47:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh, If you were to say that to me in the street I'd feel very alarmed. I'd call the police and have you 'moved on', with force if necessary.
Posted by PeterJH, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 10:04:28 AM
I couldn't agree with this article more.

Earlier this year I had a delightful encounter with a typically well educated, socially adjusted, dedicated and well trained Officer of the Queensland Police force (or should I say SS guard) - an organisation that is clearly the most professional, racially tollerant and well loved organisation in the state...

A charge of public nuisance was brought against me (along with abuse, assault and systemic gross misconduct) for simply walking down the street in the wee hours after not being able to find a taxi.

But lets not kid ourselves people - Queensland: Free and Democtratic? You are having a laugh aren't you?

Queensland Uber Nanny-Police State is the correct description. This is a state where simply attending a night club involves walking a tunnel of riot police with sniffer dogs and being subjected to invasive public strip searching with out arrest.

Beautiful one day perfect the next.
Posted by Daniel06, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 10:31:47 AM
Lets not be too precious though about the rights of perpetrators while telling other law abiding citizens that they should be more accommodating, develop a thick skin, make some allowances for (alleged) 'victims of society and so on.

Times have changed; my mother has lived on the Gold Coast for years and has witnessed the ongoing fight by police to maintain law and order. It was once a family destination. Having a background as a director of nursing in a major hospital, she is fit and assertive, however over the years she has had to cross routes and destinations off her list due to increasing danger of humiliation and assault.

In the latest incident her car was rocked, dented and spat upon by cowardly thugs who took offence when she briefly beeped her horn, worried that one of them, having drunkenly staggered onto the road, was unaware the car was there.

In Brisbane CBD there are hang-outs for young (and not so young) thugs, for example outside City Hall or on Elizabeth Street between George and Albert Streets, where students and young people are regularly blocked, insulted and coerced. Accommodation centres routinely warn visitors not to stray near the Botanic Gardens when the sun sets. Many mornings, blood splatters and vomit are evident on the walkway through St Stephen’s cathedral and nearby night clubs.

Police are people and have loved ones too, yet they have to lay their lives on the line handling situations that get out of hand because they have no power to intervene sooner.

Whilst it is true that we should be concerned about any loss of civil liberties by legislators, the overwhelming source of encroachment to our freedom and liberty is the growing tide of miscreants and thugs who know their way around the law and have free legal aid provided by the long suffering citizens whose rights they abuse.

We should be more concerned about making police feel valued and respected, that way the police force will attract and retain high quality recruits.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 10:35:37 AM
As an elected Councillor I applaud these laws.

Particular issues we had before the original legislation were druggies using our free beachside BBQ's to heat their drugs and leave the plate with drug residue for others to clean up; youth assembling on the beachfront recreational areas and, as the night wore on becomeong loud, abusive to others, and eventually causing damage to public facilities and breaking bottles on the concrete. And many other undesirable and unsavoury activities in public places.

"Move on" powers have helped minimise that to the extent that the problem is almost eliminated, as a regular occurrence although there are spasmodic outbreaks.

Police do not have to sit off in the dark and wait until they see an offence being committed, and then try to identify an offender. The police, of their own initiative can move the people on - before an offence is necessarily committed. Experience has shown that the exercise of these powers has saved a heap of ratepayer's money in minimising repairs to damage and cleaning up.

The extension of the powers to all public places is also welcome.

Previously Council and Police had to negotiate which areas were included in those areas where the "move on" powers were to be available. The problem was that the people for which these powers were appropriate soon learned which areas were not subject to the "move on" powers and moved the problem there. Back to square one! Now they have to keep moving and that is good for the community.

I must say that after many years of these Police powers, not one complaint has been made to Council about inappropriate use of these powers by Police.

There have been complaints that the Police have not acted early enough indicating some level of public support for the provisions.

Well done to the Government in creating such beneficial laws, and well done to the Police for the discrete way they have applied the laws.
Posted by wd, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 10:47:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy