The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Blaming blackfellas for their lot > Comments

Blaming blackfellas for their lot : Comments

By Victor Hart, published 19/10/2006

Queensland governments have provided a diagonal nod of support and complicity to a culture of hate among police against Aboriginal Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
The author says "If Indigenous Queenslanders enjoy the same citizenship rights as other Queenslanders".

Does that include the same legal and social obligations - not just "rights"? Does it include indigenous Queenslanders accepting that drinking is no excuse for dragging a 65 year old woman out of her car and bashing her in Mt Isa? Or the dozen other situations where we have seen Aborigines flouting the law over recent years with no charges ever laid against anyone? Does it include accepting that "grief" is no excuse for public arson, rioting and threatening the lives of police? Does it include Aborigines coming forward to lay complaints and testify in court against other Aborigines who rape, assault and destroy?

When Aborigines admit that it's not just a white problem but our problem, I'll be better prepared to listen to this kind of nonsense.
Posted by Kevin, Thursday, 19 October 2006 11:08:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Kevin
the symptoms you observe, i.e. Aboriginal criminality and bad behavior, are really symptoms, not a disease in itself.

If you ever have time, zip out to Cherbourg town, its also a mission, and discover the history of the place.
47 different aboriginal tribes were basically rounded up and sent there all together, and regimented into a concentration camp of identity execution, unable to practice any of their cultural norms due to the heavy mix of tribes, and restrictions from the Anglican Church which had a role in the place.
It was internment, and they could not even visit other areas of the reservation without a permit.

There was a bell for
-'no more children outside'
-'no more adults outside'
-'sleep'
-'wake up'
-'Work'
-'Church'

Put all this together and you have a recipe for "Ah what the hell, my life and our culture are down the toilet.. who am I anyway, I don't matter, and what I do doesn't really matter"

There is good news, in that the happiest, most well adjusted and progressive Aboriginals among them are those who have found Christ.
(as opposed to just being under the rule of the Church).. and they found Him through the work of the indigenous A.I.M. (Aboriginal Inland Mission) via Aboriginal Christians.

Some youth from our fellowship have just come back. It was heartwarming to see the love between even the older Aboriginals (Who would have lived through the previous hell) and them.

The Queensland government pulled out every bit of infrastructure in 1986 when they basically told them 'swim or sink' but swim ....with what ?

Aboriginals have some daunting barriers and wounds mate. But there is hope. (in Christ)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 19 October 2006 12:12:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kevin

I'm in agreement with the positive and progressive views of the writer. It is a credit he hasn't dwelt on the latest killing in custody.

It is a pity you haven't been able to form a view on those positive aspects of the article.

David

Are you on drugs? :-)
Posted by keith, Thursday, 19 October 2006 4:12:24 PM
Thanks for your perceptive analysis Victor.

It's a timely reminder of the value of the 'Deaths in Custody' Royal Commission report, and the need for politicians to revisit this key document and actually implement the 339 thoughtful recommendations.
Posted by Ringy, Thursday, 19 October 2006 10:57:31 PM
I agree with Victor that the DPP's decision in the Doomadgee v's Queensland Police case is critical to future relations. It has already had repercussions for the Attorney General in the Queensland Parliament. It will be reasoned arguments from indigenous leaders like Victor that Beattie needs to hear post the DPP's decision which I can likely see going against prosecution. Only by upping the political stakes on Beattie will Queensland's 'blackfellas' counter a judicial reversal. Having won another term, Beattie has no excuses for not coming out with a real reform package. First cab off the rank should be a just and generous stolen wages offer. Tasmania has shown the way in monetary compensation.
Posted by jup, Friday, 20 October 2006 10:04:58 AM
Hi All...
I dunno. I did a bit over 32 years in law enforcement (15+years in the Prison service; and 17 odd years with the police), and I would never, repeat never, recommend the prison/police force as a career to any young aspirant. In my relatively long experience, I have found that when dealing with some of these so called 'marginalized groups' in our society, the coppers are rarely right. And, when we are right, we're often accused of being 'procedurally' wrong. There's often a perception by some cohorts within these groups, that there's a substantial proclivity and willingness for police to harass, victimize, and unfairly harangue, some of these people.

Generally speaking, this percipience is false. The average copper does not have the time, energy, or will to engage in this pointless and negative activity. Sure there's empirical evidence, that some police have behaved in both an unacceptable, and in fact, an unlawful way. However, I would respectfully submit that these officers are the exception, and certainly not the rule.

I guess what I'm trying to say good people is:...that we ALL have to take responsibility for our OWN actions. We are often confronted with choices in life. It's up to us to make the correct choices. If we don't, we must PERSONALLY accept the consequences, then move on, and learn from it. Regrettably, we live in a world of the prodigious 'Excuse Industry'...It's NEVER our fault, it's ALWAYS the fault or failing of others ? School children are ever having this notion inculcated into their minds. As I said...I dunno ?
Kind regards to you all...Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 20 October 2006 3:44:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy