The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Surrender our critical thinking > Comments

Surrender our critical thinking : Comments

By Jeff Schubert, published 25/9/2006

The similar psychology of supporters of Bush and Saddam

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
“In short, people most anxious to believe in a “highly involved” god - in spite of a complete lack of evidence that any sort of god exists at all - also want to believe in Bush [Mohammed/ Jesus?]. They are very ready to surrender their own critical thinking to an authority figure, be it a god or a man.” – Good point.

Extend this also to its logical conclusion, “People are generally fearful, gullible and ever-willing to believe in a saviour. It is ironic, and even terrifying (for a rational mind, perhaps even more terrifying than terrorists) to think that - psychologically at least - Bush’s strongest supporters are also those who may have most favourably looked upon Saddam Hussein.”
Posted by relda, Monday, 25 September 2006 9:48:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am fascinated by the relationship between Howard and Bush, and by the ties that seem to bind our governments and economies.

Fear and gain indeed.

It is no longer a secret that the Bush Whitehouse and the present US Congress are the most criminally corrupt in the history of the United States. So much so, that the world is in mortal peril. In my opinion it is far worse than at the height of the cold war.

Which brings me to the relationship between our two countries.

Did Howard join us to the war-for-profit gang out of fear or did he gamble on a nett gain? Did we have any say in it? What might have happened had we refused? We know what the sly-boys do to recalcitrant leaders - history is littered with their bodies. Their country's economies are plundered in broad daylight.

Of course Bush himself is only a sock-puppet for something larger and more rapacious, although he and his family members have been compensated by enormous financial gains over the last five years.

I have this feeling that there is no honour amongst thieves, and that the actions of our government have only served to throw the pit-bull another bone.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Monday, 25 September 2006 10:29:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The following article is interesting because it shows the naiveté of meddling and interfering with a culture prematurely – or perhaps at all.

http://theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20470333-601,00.html

The entry into Iraq only hastened the current terrorist threat – there was no action to be taken that would have reversed nor eliminated it.
Posted by relda, Monday, 25 September 2006 10:50:03 AM
Hahahaha. I love it.

Totally agree, though I rather suspect there's going to be a person or two who would like to express their disagreement. Should be interesting.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 25 September 2006 11:07:39 AM
'In short, people most anxious to believe in a “highly involved” god - in spite of a complete lack of evidence that any sort of god exists at all - also want to believe in Bush. They are very ready to surrender their own critical thinking to an authority figure, be it a god or a man.' quotes Schubert .

And he says: 'There is an almost wilful blindness to reality in this attitude which leads to extreme gullibility. In spite of a complete lack of evidence - once again.....' [there is no god]

Can this really be so? I challenge the question on a numerical/imperical, rational basis. I hope to get the point across in breif.

Analyzing Religion is like analyzing Evolution. Scientific rationalism attempting to reduce the numbers soon de-equates (de-constructs) the scientific existance of man in both cases. So where does that leave the question? Well consider the following -presumably- well known fact. The bible (God) challenges us to get to know/find him, right? But ask yourself this: Do i seek to find the existance of (a) God? What is your answer? Add yourself to all the other people who answer Yes or No, and total the number. Is the number greater for Yes than No? The answer to this question places u where you belong (no offence). Next, divide the number of people who dispute the existence of God, from those who don't.

Using this number, add to it both the amount of received wisdom of the 'Nay' answer, plus all the qualitative/quantitative/imperi-rational research that supports this view. Then, subtract that from the 'Yay' figure, and there is your answer. Of course, it is highly negative, but completely un-academic.

So now we can ask the question, and prove the answer -but not the question: Is there a God?
Posted by Gadget, Monday, 25 September 2006 11:34:53 AM
Bravo and here I was thinking our Australian spirit lacked critical thought, content to be lead.

May I add that in addition to gain, fear for position and trust, there is another fear itself.

Herman Goering, a world one fighter ace decorated for bravery and instigator of the concentration camps in the second, is said to have said:
HERMAN GOERING
“ of course the people don’t want war. But after all it’s the leaders of the country who determine policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it is a democracy, a fascist dictatorship or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy, all you have to tell them is they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the Country to greater danger.”

Does this sound familiar to recent happening, from the black hole, children overboard, terrorists amongst illegal immigrants, war with Afghanistan and then Iraq, interest rates, native title? Sure I am stretching a bit for only two wars are mentioned but these days as you can have a "war on terror", (your own defintion) surely a war on; rates, illegal entry, deficits, people who throw children overboard,native title, is okay
Posted by untutored mind, Monday, 25 September 2006 12:40:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy