The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Israel 1: Hezbollah 0 > Comments

Israel 1: Hezbollah 0 : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 18/9/2006

The Middle East is caught up in a semi-permanent state of armed confrontation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Leigh,

Yes, I disagree with basically (but not all) with everything you say, but I can assure you that I am not trying to insult you. You obviously feel passionate about the issue and I want to understand the rationale behind your thinking, I have read enough of your posts on this topic to know that I would disagree with what you have to say but I am simply trying to understand your thinking.

I just don’t think it is simple enough to say ‘Israel, like any other country has the right to defend itself in any way it chooses’. There are just too many interpretations of ‘defend’, say for example, Western Australia Fisherman, with the support of some elements of the WA govt. starting to fire off rockets into parts of Indonesia. In response Indonesia bombs Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, including electricity, water and food producing facilities. Would you consider that defence? At what point does ‘defence’ become ‘attack’?

You might see my position as weak Leigh, but I am just trying to see both sides. I don’t believe a whole population can have a mentality bombed out of them. And if Israel decides the only way to sort out this issue is by eradicating a whole population, then they will rightly be judged in the same league as the Nazis, the Arab militia in Darfur, the Turkish in Armenia and so on
Posted by Carl, Monday, 18 September 2006 5:34:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Part Two

In fact, when deeply contemplating the whole Middle East situation since the late 1970’s - early 80’s when the rebel Israeli, Mordecai was captured and goaled for possibly having the wisdom to sense the danger to Arab-Jewish relations that an atomic Israel could bring.

Indeed, it has got that way with such weak federal opposition against the ultra-right-wing national governments in both the US and Australia, we could wonder whether citizens like the courageous letter-writer, Steven Raine, will be allowed any voice at all - maybe even facing the danger of being locked up like Mordecai.

Further, with things made even worse between Muslims and Christians with his Eminence our new Pope, sounding off more like Donald Rumsfeld or Georgie Boy Bush, one could wonder how worse the Middle East problem will really get.

Maybe we need a reincarnation of Bismarck, the father of Realpolitik, who in 1871 after dragging his big new guns all the way to Paris, just told the Parisians he could easily take the whole of France if he desired, but the way things were with the Concert of Europe, better for him to be the master-mind of a whole-world balance of power.

Further, it has since been said by more than one world historian, that even if Bismarck had lived till 1910, he would never have let Germany begin WW1, and as its goes on, of course, with the way a beaten Germany was treated through Versaille, causing an angry post-war Vermacht to back Hitler, we probably would never have had WW1.

No need to say any more, except maybe to wonder whether a modern Bismarck would have allowed a vibrant, though agressive little nation like Israel to be allowed to possess the most dangerous weapons man has yet devised.

And finally, maybe Bismarkian Realpolitik would indicate that if a nuclear Israel is badly upsetting the balance of power in the Middle East, the only peaceful answer could be for Iran to go nuclear to even things up - similar to present day India and Pakistan
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 18 September 2006 5:51:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gary,

What is truly frightening is your previous job as Defence Adviser with the Parliamentary Information and Research Service. With people in such important positions furnishing such muddle-headed nonsense to our politicians, what chance does the region have for peace?

In case you hadn't noticed the US/British/Australian/Israeli policy in the ME has been an unmitigated disaster. Have you ever heard of Iraq?

The murderous campaign wrought by the Israelis (the world's most racist state) against Hezbollah will do nothing except harden existing Muslim attitudes to the West. It proves once again that the West will turn a blind eye to Israel's monstrous abuse of its neighbours. It's time to wake up. The score is

Israel = 0; Lebanon = 0; world terrorism = 1
Posted by eet, Monday, 18 September 2006 5:55:02 PM
Thanks to Kalin for reminding us that there have been no winners.
Posted by David Latimer, Monday, 18 September 2006 5:57:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bushbred,

I would welcome a nuclear Iran. It would be the surest guarantee yet of peace in the Middle East. Suddenly, all those decisions that the Israelis said were 'too hard', or 'too painful' would be possible. They wouldn't be able to get away with their murderous campaigns against civilians, and for once would have to be genuine in their negotiations. Perhaps then the region would have a chance.
Posted by eet, Monday, 18 September 2006 6:05:10 PM
Israel lost! LOL

Funniest title ever.

In terms of who is the biggest threat to world security you might see
Israel: 1, Hezbollah: 0. But that's about all.

I salute Hezbollah for sticking two fingers up to Israel. Way to go team.

Israel will eventually be stopped but it will take an uprising from within. When all the people learn the truth. All the wars Israel has waged against Lebanon have started to unravel the delicate strings which tie the Israelis together. It's unfortunate that the decades of war against the Palestinians and the extreme racism inherent in Israeli policy was not enough of a deterrant for the Israelis. But I guess it's hard to know the truth when you're being indoctrinated with zionist propaganda eh?
Posted by fleurette, Monday, 18 September 2006 6:58:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy