The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > More work to be done in Sunshine State > Comments

More work to be done in Sunshine State : Comments

By Des Moore, published 28/8/2006

Peter Beattie hasn’t even started on reform.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
"There is a strong case for selling most of the state’s $22 billion of corporate assets - particularly in the electricity, ports, and forestry sectors"

Each time I read a piece by Des Moore, I wonder how long it's going to take him to push his pro-privatisation agenda.

For those in the metropolitan areas, I imagine privatisation works quite well - though if you're not, it's a rather less attractive option.

Lets talk privatised telcos:

There are plenty of areas out here which still can't access broadband. Never mind hoping for a high tech- fibre-to-the-node connection, I know those who would be happy with a dial up connection that didn't frequently cut out.

Lets talk privatised banks:

Talk to the farmers out on the land, and ask them how the experience of privatising the commonwealth bank went for them. More than a decade on, and many of them still aren't happy.

Privatisation leads to a great world - for those who can afford it. But regrettably in remote areas of Australia there isn't the profit to be had.

Evidently Des lives in a metro area, with the privatised world at his fingertips. I imagine that must be very nice.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 28 August 2006 9:23:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How is increased use of privatised services resulting in savings to Queensland taxpayers? What a strange proposition. We (the taxpayer) still have to pay for the services!

We just pay the provider directly. And, we pay significantly more than we'd pay for a state-run service because they're providing the service to make a profit.
Posted by clancy, Monday, 28 August 2006 12:48:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy