The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bringing back 'Aunty' > Comments

Bringing back 'Aunty' : Comments

By Liz Conor, published 4/7/2006

A colonial stereotype could provide a model for dealing with domestic violence in Aboriginal communities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I'm not sure I follow here. Is Liz Conor suggesting that pre-colonisation Australia was a mecca for sexual equality, and that Australian tribes were not hostage to the 'Old Men' who ran the joint and did whatever they liked to every woman in the tribe?

gw
Posted by gw, Tuesday, 4 July 2006 1:57:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
gw, no liz is not saying that at all. Are you looking back comparitiv ely beyond recent history to justify the present?
Using your logic, Indigenous people deserve their current situation and the colonial incursions that bought it to this time and place on the basis of a pre-invasion violence you can neither substantiate of provide clear evidence of. One thing is clear, pre-invasion Aboriginal society, (over 600 different langauges, a complex system of multicultural cohabitation) no longer exists. Why is this so?
But more importantly, are not Indigenous people deserving of the same human rights as white Australians? I sense your answer to this might be No. A large part of this being delivered is for White Australians to stop disremembering. Lest we forget or is it best we forget?
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 4 July 2006 3:18:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I found it heartening to see the history of our Aunty's being truthfully said, I like the Aunty concept, it mirrors reality.

As for broughs agenda, he's taken a bite out of a big elephant, and i wonder how much he's gonna be able to chew. it would certainly be easier if he enlisted others to help - maybe the aunty's could help out.

Advance Australia Fair - does that include aboriginal people?
Posted by kalalli, Tuesday, 4 July 2006 8:37:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The aunties are still around, they just are not recognised for what they do in protecting the people who need it.

One thing they do know is that if they don't fit the "description" of what some beuarocrate filled out in his paper work, then do your work quietly or lose the kids you are trying to make strong, pass on to them the pride we all have, and make them understand why it was taken away so many years ago.

But most important. Why we need to stand with the ancestors of past and reclaim ourselves.

Kaydla
Posted by kaydla, Tuesday, 4 July 2006 10:19:09 PM
The next representative structure for Aboriginal leadership (local, regional and national) needs to be desiged by Aboriginal women and candidates nominated and voted for by Aboriginal women only. They know whose who and what's what. Nuff said!
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 5 July 2006 5:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And when we get it right for our Indigenous women and children, we can try to apply what we've learned for our other coloured (including white) victims of violence and sexual abuse who are very poorly served by adversarial 'justice'. Watch all the women losing their children to 'dad' after the changes to Family Law. Except we're not allowed to speak about them in the media.
Posted by Cotter, Wednesday, 5 July 2006 5:40:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy