The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Wanderings in a desert > Comments

Wanderings in a desert : Comments

By Donna Jacobs Sife, published 9/6/2006

The loss of innocence in the Red Centre of Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
At the very end of this article it is noted that "Donna Jacobs Sife is an award winning storyteller, educator and writer," who is skilled in drama and "creative writing".

Indeed one has to be very creative to have James Cook, as she puts it, "[naming] that land Manly, because of the marvellous specimens of humankind he saw". Trouble is that the British person who named that small part of the Sydney region 'Manly' was Governor Arthur Phillip, almost 18 years after Cook's voyage along the east coast.

Jacobs Sife also notes that the Aboriginal people of Uluru are "damaged by the fenced areas of crown land so that they cannot roam as they should". Huh?? Has Jacobs Sife bothered to look at a map? The Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park is surrounded by other areas of Aboriginal land, while the nearest example of Crown Land would be hundreds of kilometres away. There is nothing to prevent them 'roaming' as she puts it.

Lastly, it is "foetal alcohol syndrome" not "faetal alcohol syndrome" but then again why should I expect an award winning educator to get her spelling right?
Posted by EnerGee, Friday, 9 June 2006 10:13:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"..robbing them of their traditional life and coming with an expectation that they become like us."

Come on. They very idea of these camps was to allow them NOT to become like us, but they and their do-gooder white mates decided that they had to have all of the advantages of white civilization without the responsibilities.

The author can cry and say sorry as much as she likes. There is no hope for aborgines as long as they cling to, and are encouraged to cling to by the luvvies, a way of life that is long gone.

"And the greatest sorrow of all is for the loss of knowledge that we so desperately need to save this earth of ours. To save ourselves."

Rave on! Aboriginal aboriginals cannot save themselves, let alone Australia and the rest of us. Indigenous people were expected to die out over time, as have all other civilizations incapable of changing with the times. If they had been left alone, this would have happened in the case of the older ones, and the younger ones would have assimilated. Thanks to damn do-gooders, the natural outcome has not occurred.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 9 June 2006 11:18:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Energee for the correction regarding Phillip not Cook, absolutely correct, and the article has been amended. Although I would make the point that the sentiment is unchanged regardless of who said it. The spelling mistake was not mine, but an editorial blunder, which happens sometimes in this world of spell check. And as for the fenced issue - looking at a map will not give you the sense that I had when I was there at the Aboriginal Community of Mutajulu. Some things need to be seen to be believed. You seem to be a little concerned with form, and resistant to the substance of the article, which will remain the same regardless of typos, maps, and Captains.
Donna (author)
Posted by lyrebird, Friday, 9 June 2006 11:22:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmmm! I notice that we have now changed "faetal alcohol syndrome" to "fetal alcohol syndrome", which is the American spelling. Given that even The Sydney Morning Herald uses "foetal" - or it did in August 2005 - couldn't we stick with the Australian spelling, Donna?

As for the "fenced issue", I too have visited the Mutitjulu community (note correct spelling, Donna) and didn't have any sense of feeling fenced in. Your notion that Anangu - the Aboriginal people of the Rock - are "damaged by the fenced areas of crown land" is entirely spurious.

Yes, I am concerned with form because by getting things right in an article, then one can at least trust the opinions of that author. This article is/was shot through with so many inaccuracies and so much emotional hyperventilation that it contributes nothing to the national discussion on indigenous issues.
Posted by EnerGee, Friday, 9 June 2006 2:57:56 PM
Liegh, your frontal lobotomy is still well overdue.
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 9 June 2006 4:25:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another article of someone moved by emotion but not willing to face up to facts. How on earth is saying sorry going to change the abuse that has been going on in the Aboriginal community for hundreds of years (yes well before European settlement). When are we going to get some journalist who are more concerned about the people than they are their fanciful black arm band view of history.
Posted by runner, Friday, 9 June 2006 4:55:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy