The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Education swirls around central Australia > Comments

Education swirls around central Australia : Comments

By Harry Throssell, published 5/6/2006

The 'Story Writing In Remote Locations' project has a positive impact on the education of Indigenous children.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Thank you so much for this article. It is such a relief to hear some good news about Indigenous Australia. All the negative images that are published in the media means many people consider this issue to be firmly in the too hard basket. It is so refreshing to hear about someone going out to a community and implementing such a brilliant and simple idea that is really going to help.
Posted by Anna T, Monday, 5 June 2006 12:01:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Anna T,

The news coming from rural and remote indigenous communities in the last couple of weeks has been quite negative. I support that we need to hear true accounts of what is going on, and the conversation on my home turf (regional NSW) has centered around "What can we do?"

Lawry Mahon's SWIRL program is a breath of fresh air. The work that Victorian University, La Trobe and others are doing is a drop in the ocean, and more funding and support clearly need to go into these neglected communities. Encouraging urban education students to vist and interact with indigenous communities during their training is clearly a step in the right direction.

Consultation in delivering to remote communities has clearly got to be a priority in attempts to improve things.

Well done to the whole SWIRL team!

Cheers

Monkey
Posted by Monkey_2006, Monday, 5 June 2006 2:45:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Harry

Thank you for your inspiring article. Yes, a breath of fresh air. I echo the sentiments of Anna and Monkey.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Monday, 5 June 2006 5:18:04 PM
I wanted to write and say how impressed I was reading the article outlining how education is made more accessible for Aboriginal kids. I am a teacher in England who is dedicated to raising awareness of Aboriginal cultures over here. Last year I was lucky and spent time in Yirrkala researching the art and culture and I saw first hand how they have been meeting the same challenges in their community and homelands schools. You will already know that they produce their own books and reading material. I have been sharing some of their philosophies of education with teachers back here about two way learning (Ganma) that can help underpin our own multicultural issues.
I was thrilled to be able to work with some of the indigenous students who were training up there and share some of my knowledge of building festival structures so that they could build structures with the kids to use in their performance at the Garma Festival (was that with you harry?) It was great to see my skills used to support Yolngu cutural education. I learnt so much from my time with the Yolngu and those who work with them and am keen to continue my education and hopefully visit them again - and some other communities over the next few years.

I love the idea of two way learning and bilngual education has to be the way forwards. Does anyone out there know of any bilingual poetry projects going on in Indigenous communities/schools?

Keep up the good work - it is inspirational!!
Posted by worldkitten, Wednesday, 7 June 2006 10:33:07 AM
Nice to read something positive that has some substance inrelation to Australia's Indigenous peoples.
Do you mind if I do my homework here?

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=4508#43394

Research indicates that pre-invasion there were 750,000 indigenous people in Australia, and now there are around 200,000. There were 500 distinct groups using 200 distinct languages.
Research indicates that pre-invasion there were 750,000 indigenous people in Australia, and now there are around 200,000. There were 500 distinct groups using 200 distinct languages.

That's twelve. 488 to go. Can I be excused.

Seriously, what a remarkable heritage.
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 8 June 2006 8:30:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am glad someone finally brought this up, I myself being an indigenous Australian have always struggled trying to find a book as a child with a black face on the cover.
Going through our books when we were little we would always pick what character we looked most like and then we would go and role play.
However, for me there were never any black kids so I just pretended I didnt want to play. My mum (a white Australian) bought me and my sister (white) dolls and I got a black one for me that was really exciting.
I think that in todays society there arent enough books, posters, ect. which include indigenous people. In America it is common to see African-Americans in ads ect. but not native Americans, Why is that?
When you look on the tv you see white Australians, italians, americans but never any Aboriginals unless its something referring to Aboriginal culture. Though Aboriginal people are a minority in Australia, I see them everywhere when I walk down the street. Its time start seeing indigenous Austalians in a positive light.
Q. Why aren't there any aboriginal people in Erinsborough or Summer Bay?
Posted by ASH, Thursday, 8 June 2006 4:38:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy