The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The budget delivers, even for single poets > Comments

The budget delivers, even for single poets : Comments

By Tony Abbott, published 31/5/2006

This budget showed Howard and Costello's real achievement as tax reformers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Unfortunately Mr. Abbott, the impact of every policy implemented by any Government has a flow down effect on the whole population. The Liberal Government has only one agenda and that is to make a handfull of the very rich and powerful people even more richer and powerful. The flow down effect for the rest of the population is more debt and insecurity especially since the introduction of "Workchoices" which will further add to the insecurity of the working class of Australia. I'll admit that on the face of it, families seem to have done very well for themselves in the latest budget, whilst those who are single or on social security assistance schemes have missed out badly, but let me ask you Mr. Abbott, just how is it that only a couple of decades ago, a working person (generally a man) could afford to pay off a home loan on a single income and still have money for the little necessities in life, yet today that situation is very rare indeed. Even with a duel income, housing is becoming less and less affordable for the average working family. In pushing growth at all cost, the Howard led Government is slowly eroding the fabric that binds Auatralian society together and all for the good of the wealthy. The pittance handed to famlies in the latest budget won't help them when their ability to keep a roof over their heads has gone. Add to this the prospect of ever increasing fuel costs and the associated rise in everything as a result and you'll soon have exactly what your Government and the rich wants. A population of slaves working full time for a wage equal to the dole.
Posted by Wildcat, Wednesday, 31 May 2006 11:34:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I move that the grub be no longer heard.
Posted by Steve Madden, Wednesday, 31 May 2006 1:10:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seconded...
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 31 May 2006 1:15:22 PM
I think that this budget is the most wonderful that I have seen in my lifetime, and comes close to ranking with the British budget of 1816. (In the 1816 budget, the British Prime Minister, the Earl of Liverpool, announced the abolition of the income tax, to the loudest and most sustained cheering in the House of Commons in living memory).

One of the greatest non-military risks that Australia faces over the next few years is that its enormous private foreign debt will be called in (as has happened twice before in our history). The Federal Government has done all it can, and we are now one of the very few countries in the world with no government foreign debt. For those on the left, who seem to believe in the economic doctrine of borrow and spend with no thought for tomorrow, this possibility is not even considered, despite the fact that no government can print foreign exchange. The Keating policy of forcing people to make super payments that did not really pay has not suceeded in raising the level of national savings; I am sure that the new policy of encouraging people to save will be far more successful. In addition, the budget accomplishes two goals with the one rock; it not only encourages savings, but also encourages people aged 55 to stay in the workforce for a few more years.

Quite apart from its magnificent effort in reforming Industrial Relations, I consider that the Federal Government deserves to be re-elected on the basis of these super reforms alone. People who claim that these benefits only favour the better-off should remember that if our debt were to called in, it is the poor and disadvantaged that would suffer most.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 31 May 2006 3:58:00 PM
plerdsus

Your so funny, I thought you were serious there for a second.

Why has this budget resulted in labor being 1% behind on primary vote?

Sorry guys it was stinking grub. I respect our parliament and the author of this piece is out of order.
Posted by Steve Madden, Wednesday, 31 May 2006 4:17:21 PM
Grub Steve, your defaming a grub, poor grub.

plerdsus, I can see your reasoning, the federal government has done all it can to enslave the people for the benefit of their masters. I've said this before, but I still find it amazing that anyone would vote for those who sell off their assets, to their friends, so they can make money out of what we created and payed for.

Of course, they support the people they represent, corporate monopolies. Thats why they've given so many subsides to major corporations and not small business.

Plerdsus, “People who claim that these benefits only favour the better-off should remember that if our debt were to called in, it is the poor and disadvantaged that would suffer most.”

Of course it will be the poor, we don';t expect those companies that created the debt to pay for it. Nor the government for its in ability to manage anything except their own billions of dollars of un-financed super (debt), their free travel for life and their huge perks.

After all the fools of this country voted for political parties, and like lemmings they will file down and vote for them again. Why, because they prefer to have morons destroying us, than take a gamble on real people, not lawyers, doctors accountants and union deadheads.

As for Tony abbot, what more can you expect from a politician believer in god, but lies.

Hows life in the fast lane Steve, always ready to debate.
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 31 May 2006 5:12:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy